search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

When to Benchmark Messages in this topic - RSS

User 583647
User 583647

10/17/2014
User 583647
User 583647
Hello,

My district uses the Benchmarking System. We used to assess the students three times a year, in September, January, and June. Recently, my principal found the "Instructional Level Expectations For Reading" chart (attached) and has changed our F&P Benchmark Assessments to November, February, and June. In order to group students, we are using the student's June F&P level from the previous year. Please let me know how often and when you would recommend the benchmarking. Thank you!
0 link
Fountas and Pinnell Team
Fountas and Pinnell Team
Administrator

10/27/2014
Fountas and Pinnell Team
Fountas and Pinnell Team
Administrator
It is up to the district to determine when to administer the Benchmark Assessment.

Fountas and Pinnell state: We suggest that you administer the assessment at the beginning of the year to know where to start the teaching with each student. You may want to conduct the assessment in the middle of the year to take stock of student progress, though you may already have the information from your ongoing use of running records or reading records in instruction. At the end of the year you may want to make a final record of the student‘s growth across the year.

Fountas and Pinnell clarify options for conducting the assessment in the fall: (When assessing at the beginning of the year) It is reasonable to test the student at the end-of-year level to see if competency has been maintained. That is made possible in the Benchmark System because there are alternative texts at each level. So, the student would not be reading the same material. Alternatively, the next level up could be attempted first. The teacher will know if it is too difficult and can then move down. The reliability is established when the student reads the highest level possible with the accuracy and comprehension criteria. If the district wants to make starting on last year's ending level a standard procedure, then they would have a quick assessment of whether the majority of students (or which students) have declined over the summer. This could be the impetus for planning some summer reading/writing programs.

By using the Benchmark Assessment System at different times of the year You can:
• Determine your students' independent and instructional reading levels.
• Determine reading placement levels and group students for reading instruction.
• Select texts that will be productive for student's instruction.
• Assess the outcomes of teaching.
• Assess a new student's reading level for independent reading and instruction.
• Identify students who need intervention.
• Document student progress across a school year and across grade levels.
• Inform parent conferences.

I hope this helps as you continue to discuss this topic. Have a great year!
Helenann Steenson, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
0 link
CR ZEE
CR ZEE

2/20/2018
CR ZEE
CR ZEE
Are the repeated assessments intended for the entire class or just students receiving intervention?
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

2/21/2018
CR ZEE wrote:
Are the repeated assessments intended for the entire class or just students receiving intervention?

When to assess and how often is a district decision. Some districts choose to assess all children three times per year. Some districts choose to assess all children at the start of their grade level and then around April or May to help inform teaching for the remainder of the year while assessing children below grade level three times per year, which would include a mid year assessment for selected children.

The key to assessment is always analysis of strategic behaviors used in order to compare their behaviors to the Literacy Continuum and then use that information to inform instruction. We wish you the best as you assess and instruct your students.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link
ozlitchick
ozlitchick

12 days ago
ozlitchick
ozlitchick
HI,
Further to this question about when to assess... could you please let me know your thoughts on how often to assess?
Some schools I know are trying to get through each class every 3 months (4 times a year). I have heard that the F&P assessments are only designed to be used 2, maximum 3, times a year. Is this accurate?
Thanks
edited by ozlitchick on 8/5/2018
0 link

10 days ago
ozlitchick wrote:
HI,
Further to this question about when to assess... could you please let me know your thoughts on how often to assess?
Some schools I know are trying to get through each class every 3 months (4 times a year). I have heard that the F&P assessments are only designed to be used 2, maximum 3, times a year. Is this accurate?
Thanks
edited by ozlitchick on 8/5/2018

On page 3 of the Benchmark Assessment guide it states, “Administered two, three, or four times per year, the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment System can .... document student progress across a school year and across grade levels....... We suggest administering this assessment at least once at the beginning of the school year to know where to begin instruction, and then again in March or April. By scheduling in this way, you can assess a student’s progress across most of the school year and also use the March/April results to inform teaching through the end of the year. Time and frequency of administration will vary according to school district needs.

I hope this helps clarify.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link