search navigation

HomeProfessional Books

Fountas and Pinnell professional books including the Comprehensive Phonics, Spelling, and Word Study Guide, and Literacy Beginnings.

guided reading vs. strategy groups Messages in this topic - RSS

Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

5/23/2016
Grouping needs to be flexible based on the needs of YOUR students. Students below grade level need to be included in guided reading groups to increase their processing: within, beyond and about the text! Group discussion and teaching points on processing behaviors are very effective when using the same book and focusing on individual processing as students read that text individually. Small focus groups, based on a similar focus/need which might include children reading different books or even books at different levels are also appropriate. When we begin to state that one protocol is appropriate for all students, we are teaching a protocol, not the readers! One approach or protocol is never 'right' for all students. Multiple approaches are needed. We are waiting with anticipation for the NEW Guided Reading: Responsive Teaching Across the Grades, Second Edition!!! It should be out this summer or early September! We are expecting new updated information! Also, this is also an informative publication, if you have not seen it: http://www.heinemann.com/fountasandpinnell/supportingMaterials/Guided_Reading_Romance.pdf
Thank you for asking a great question! Best wishes as you continue using Guided Reading with the students who need this approach!

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link
Maura C.
Maura C.

1/24/2017
Maura C.
Maura C.
I agree that focusing on individual processes is needful for different groups of students. Reading helps them to understand more things that are studying. I even stopped used paper editing service https://help.plagtracker.com/ because of my own knowledge that has been improved.
0 link