search navigation

HomeShare Your Story

Share your story. Share your success. Be inspired by the literacy lives impacted by Fountas & Pinnell Literacy™.

Order of Letter Introduction Messages in this topic - RSS

IF2
IF2

2/21/2017
IF2
IF2
Does anyone have a good resource they have used for the order in which letters should be introduced to kindergarteners? I have seen many different approaches, but I would like to know of any that have been used with good success. Thanks!
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

2/21/2017
IF2 wrote:
Does anyone have a good resource they have used for the order in which letters should be introduced to kindergarteners? I have seen many different approaches, but I would like to know of any that have been used with good success. Thanks!

I would like to suggest you read the Aug and Nov blogs related to Responsive Teaching. The goal is for K teachers to make the decision about what letters to teach based on the assessment of the class. If the majority of the class knows a letter, no need to teach it. The Phonics Lessons recommend teaching letters that are in the student's name first so that depends on the students in your class each year. This is responding to the needs of the students, not just teaching a curriculum.
Using the name charts and puzzles in whole and small group instruction, using shared reading & writing to link the letters on the name chart with letters in the texts being shared in reading and writing, and small group work with texts in a similar way has been very successful around the country. Teaching letters in isolation often takes longer and is not as meaningful as embedding with text. It is more abstract and most K students are still at a concrete level of learning so learning letters while reading and writing makes more sense and is more memorable (it sticks better!). Fountas and Pinnell's resources provide more details about these activities. (Guided Reading, Literacy Beginnings, When Readers Struggle, and Phonics Lessons specifically).
I know this is quite a shift in thinking for some people but give it a try! It's more fun and a more efficient use of time.
Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link