search navigation

HomeShare Your Story

Share your story. Share your success. Be inspired by the literacy lives impacted by Fountas & Pinnell Literacy™.

Mature Topics for Immature Readers Messages in this topic - RSS

Jomyrol
Jomyrol

6/14/2017
Jomyrol
Jomyrol
I have readers in grade three who are at the U - Z levels. I find the content is too mature and they can't relate to it. i.e. We live in a small town in Canada, where segregation and discrimination are words they have not been exposed to or have connections with. The comprehension is lost when they come upon words like this. The story on Mrs. King Jr.requires connections and background knowledge, such as what the Civil War was. Can you recommend any other stories I could use for bench marking an eight year old with?
Thanks,
Joanne
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

6/14/2017
Jomyrol wrote:
I have readers in grade three who are at the U - Z levels. I find the content is too mature and they can't relate to it. i.e. We live in a small town in Canada, where segregation and discrimination are words they have not been exposed to or have connections with. The comprehension is lost when they come upon words like this. The story on Mrs. King Jr.requires connections and background knowledge, such as what the Civil War was. Can you recommend any other stories I could use for bench marking an eight year old with?
Thanks,
Joanne

It is not recommended that you use BAS books more than one grade level above the age of the child for the very reasons stated. The student may read the words but is not really comprehending at the level of complexity required to successfully read at that level. I would only use the level where the child reads accurately enough and comprehends with fluent reading to measure in the proficient- approaching proficiency range for the Independent and Instructional levels for the Benchmark period (use the criteria in BAS to make this determination). The Assessment Summary should detail the goals of instruction for the level that is appropriate for instruction in the "just challenging" level of complexity of texts. Pay close attention to the Text Characteristics and goals for thinking Beyond and About the text to prioritize learning goals. We have to help educate the public that numbers (or letters) alone are not a reliable standard measure for growth. The thinking wrapped up in that number or letter is the important thing!

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link