search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Assessment Procedures Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser41782
FPUser41782

14 days ago
FPUser41782
FPUser41782
My district is overhauling our reading program. We will continue to use F&P for assessment purposes.
I am curious to see how other schools operate regarding assessment -

1. How many times per year are students formally assessed for reading level?

2. Who administers these assessments (reading teacher or classroom teacher, or is it a shared responsibility)?

3. How long does the process take (can a classroom get all records done in a matter of days? Weeks?)

Any input is welcomed and appreciated! Thank you!
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

11 days ago
FPUser41782 wrote:
My district is overhauling our reading program. We will continue to use F&P for assessment purposes.

2. Who administers these assessments (reading teacher or classroom teacher, or is it a shared responsibility)?

3. How long does the process take (can a classroom get all records done in a matter of days? Weeks?)

Just wanted to check in to make sure you know we at Fountas and Pinnell are not ignoring your questions but are leaving the post for schools to respond as you requested. If you want me to respond with the suggestions from the Assessment Guide I can.
Debbie
0 link
FPUser2616
FPUser2616

8 days ago
FPUser2616
FPUser2616
FPUser2616 wrote:
FPUser41782 wrote:

1. How many times per year are students formally assessed for reading level? Our district assesses students 3 times per year.

2. Who administers these assessments (reading teacher or classroom teacher, or is it a shared responsibility)? In the fall classroom teachers, Reading Recovery teachers, Title I teachers, and the Literacy Coach work together to get all students assessed.

3. How long does the process take (can a classroom get all records done in a matter of days? Weeks?) It generally takes 2-3 weeks to get all our 1st - 3rd graders assessed in our school of 320 students.

edited by FPUser2616 on 7/16/2017
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

8 days ago
FPUser41782 wrote:

1) Fountas and Pinnell suggest using the formal assessment no more than three to four times per year. Most schools assess three times per year. In between assessment, informal running records should be taken to make sure the student is taking on new learning. 2) The assessment should be administered by the teacher who is teaching reading to the student. In most cases, that will be the classroom teacher. 3) The assessment will take between 20 and 30 minutes per student, depending how high the child is reading and the number of books he/she reads. You will want to determine the Independent, Instructional, and Hard levels to inform your teaching. In a classroom of 22 students, you will probably take about two weeks to assess all your students.

I hope this helps. Best wishes in the coming year.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link