search navigation

HomeShare Your Story

Share your story. Share your success. Be inspired by the literacy lives impacted by Fountas & Pinnell Literacy™.

My 1st grader is having trouble. Messages in this topic - RSS

ShanTaylorElfe
ShanTaylorElfe

7/18/2017
ShanTaylorElfe
ShanTaylorElfe
My son is in first grade and will be going to first grade again because he is having a hard time with the questions, and can't get off level C. I never learned this way growing up where the answers were already there and you had to match it. I don't think its a right or fair way to test kids on what they know, but since this is how it is , how can I help my son? please can someone help me?
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

7/19/2017
ShanTaylorElfe wrote:
My son is in first grade and will be going to first grade again because he is having a hard time with the questions, and can't get off level C. I never learned this way growing up where the answers were already there and you had to match it. I don't think its a right or fair way to test kids on what they know, but since this is how it is , how can I help my son? please can someone help me?

First, let me congratulate you on being an advocate for your son. You have asked a very important as well as complicated question. There are many behaviors a reader needs to gain as we process text. It goes beyond simply recalling words or asking questions.

Reading is a systematic process that requires the reader to ask questions internally as he/she reads. The reader must think within the text: problem solving what is literally 'right there' on the page. Readers must think beyond the text: bringing meaning based on what they know about the world, other texts, and their own to experiences to their understanding of the text. Finally, readers must think about the text: analyzing and thinking critically about what they have read. Here is a link to help gather more information regarding the systems of strategic actions required as we read: http://blog.fountasandpinnell.com/post/what-are-the-systems-of-strategic-actions

Here is another resource teachers use as they teach reading at each gradient text level: http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/continuum/
It outlines the behaviors required to process text at each level.

Talking about text and how it relates to the world around us is one of the best ways to learn to think more about text as we read. I am not sure what reading behaviors your first grade son is using effectively and which behaviors he struggles with. I would suggest that you ask the teacher to be more specific and perhaps give examples of the reading behaviors your son currently uses and what he needs to work on. He should be reading at least one book at his level to you. To increase his understanding, you should be reading and talking about a book that you read to him. The teacher could provide you with some good discussion questions to ask in both cases.

We wish you and your son the very best on your reading journey!

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link