search navigation

HomeShare Your Story

Share your story. Share your success. Be inspired by the literacy lives impacted by Fountas & Pinnell Literacy™.

Reading Omissions & Insertions Messages in this topic - RSS

kcardoso3
kcardoso3

20 days ago
kcardoso3
kcardoso3
Hi, my daughter is going in to Grade 3. She is a December baby and one of the youngest in her class. At the beginning of Grade 1 she was reading Level 1 books. She has progressed. She received extra reading support at school in Grades 1 and 2 and I work with her at home too. I feel that she has learned to read by recognizing whole words vs. sounding words out, but I'm not 100% sure. When she reads she omits small words at times, but enough that it's frustrating to me because these are words that I know she can read e.g., in, the. At other times, she will say an incorrect word for the small word. I also find that she sometimes adds a word that makes sense to her, but it is not on the page. I have her using her finger to track the words while she reads. I tell her to read the author's words that are on the page and not to insert her own words. If she makes a mistake I point to the word that she has left out or read incorrectly and she reads it properly. When I do this, she gets annoyed because I'm stopping the flow of the story and correcting her. Should I be pointing out her errors? Sometimes I let a few go by, so neither of us gets frustrated. I would like some strategies to help my daughter improve as I want her to enjoy reading and feel good about reading. Currently, I think she is Level 20. She likes the Eerie Elementary Series and she usually reads a chapter to me a day.
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

20 days ago
kcardoso3 wrote:
Hi, my daughter is going in to Grade 3. She is a December baby and one of the youngest in her class. At the beginning of Grade 1 she was reading Level 1 books. She has progressed. She received extra reading support at school in Grades 1 and 2 and I work with her at home too. I feel that she has learned to read by recognizing whole words vs. sounding words out, but I'm not 100% sure. When she reads she omits small words at times, but enough that it's frustrating to me because these are words that I know she can read e.g., in, the. At other times, she will say an incorrect word for the small word. I also find that she sometimes adds a word that makes sense to her, but it is not on the page. I have her using her finger to track the words while she reads. I tell her to read the author's words that are on the page and not to insert her own words. If she makes a mistake I point to the word that she has left out or read incorrectly and she reads it properly. When I do this, she gets annoyed because I'm stopping the flow of the story and correcting her. Should I be pointing out her errors? Sometimes I let a few go by, so neither of us gets frustrated. I would like some strategies to help my daughter improve as I want her to enjoy reading and feel good about reading. Currently, I think she is Level 20. She likes the Eerie Elementary Series and she usually reads a chapter to me a day.

First, congratulations on reading nightly with your daughter! The critical part of the reading process is reading for meaning. That will help her gain the most momentum. Therefore, I would suggest that you have some conversations about what she is reading. You might ask what she has learned so far, after several pages or at the end of a chapter. As she reads, if the words substituted retain meaning: i.e. a for the, I would not interupt her. If meaning is changed, I would give her a chance to fix her errors, by letting her read to the end of a sentence and then saying, "Something was not quite right, can you fix it? or Read that again to see if you are right." That gives her the opportunity to go back and search the text and even encourage more careful reading. You might follow up by asking how that changed the meaning. We want her to learn to more consistently self monitor her reading rather than having someone else monitor for her.Having her point to each word at this stage will not necessarily cause her to read with more accuracy and can inhibit understanding. Finally, I would encourage you to ask her teacher what she is noticing and what she would suggest you do to continue to help your daughter.

Best wishes as you continue to support your daughter.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link