search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Self Corrections with Zero Errors Messages in this topic - RSS

EParsley
EParsley

7 days ago
EParsley
EParsley
Good afternoon! I had a situation come up today that I have never experienced. I had a reader make 5 self corrections with zero errors. I know this is a celebration, and I am excited! However, I'm perplexed about how to code it. What would the self-correction ratio look like--5:0? I appreciate any insight you can offer!
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

7 days ago
EParsley wrote:
Good afternoon! I had a situation come up today that I have never experienced. I had a reader make 5 self corrections with zero errors. I know this is a celebration, and I am excited! However, I'm perplexed about how to code it. What would the self-correction ratio look like--5:0? I appreciate any insight you can offer!

Great question! You are right. We do not get this situation very often. Since the formula for SC is: E + SC divided by SC... we would say 0 errors (because no errors remained at the end of the reading) plus 5 self corrections (0+5) = 5 divided by 5 (# of self corrections) = 1
In other words, for every error the student made, he corrected it. He corrected on a 1:1 ratio.

I hope that makes sense! Thanks for sharing!

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link