search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

Student Groupings in LLI Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser41782
FPUser41782

7 days ago
FPUser41782
FPUser41782
I am a reading teacher who will be using LLI exclusively with special education students this year. I have access to the Blue Kit.
I see students from classrooms as a group. However, when I assessed them last week - for example - one student is at an instructional F, and another is at an instructional H. Is there a way to group these students together (using the LLI Blue Kit), or do they have to be split into other groups?

As I assess my students, I am finding that many of them are all over the board - so it is helpful for me to know who can be grouped together, and who cannot. Thanks!
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

7 days ago
FPUser41782 wrote:
I am a reading teacher who will be using LLI exclusively with special education students this year. I have access to the Blue Kit.
I see students from classrooms as a group. However, when I assessed them last week - for example - one student is at an instructional F, and another is at an instructional H. Is there a way to group these students together (using the LLI Blue Kit), or do they have to be split into other groups?

As I assess my students, I am finding that many of them are all over the board - so it is helpful for me to know who can be grouped together, and who cannot. Thanks!

Fountas and Pinnell suggest limiting grouping to within one level when possible, for the most successful progress. The best is always grouping students at the same level because you will find many variables even with children reading instructionally at the same level. If, however, that is not possible, you might group within two levels, for example children who are reading F and G levels of text. In that case you would begin lessons at level F (the lowest level) and move forward. For a group of students instructional at levels F and H, you will find that the students reading at level H will become bored and perhaps off task very quickly because you will be starting lessons at level F. You will need to give some higher books for independent reading to the the students reading at higher levels to try to keep their interest.

Thank you for a great question. We wish you the best!

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link