search navigation

HomeShare Your Story

Share your story. Share your success. Be inspired by the literacy lives impacted by Fountas & Pinnell Literacy™.

What level do you use to instruct? Messages in this topic - RSS

TCue
TCue

11 days ago
TCue
TCue
Our school uses guided reading strategy based on Fountas and Pinnell. My question is this: If a student can pass a running record at an R, but the word inventory says their word work should be a J, where do you instruct that child? My belief is to instruct them at their instructional level, but do the word work at the level J. Others feel all instruction should take place at a J even though that child can read R or S levels.ed reading strategy based on Fountas and Pinnell. My question is this: If a student can pass a running record at an R, but the word inventory says their word work should be a J, where do you instruct that child? My belief is to instruct them at their instructional level, but do the word work at the level J. Others feel all instruction should take place at a J even though that child can read R or S levels.
edited by TCue on 10/5/2017
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

11 days ago
TCue wrote:

Our school uses guided reading strategy based on Fountas and Pinnell. My question is this: If a student can pass a running record at an R, but the word inventory says their word work should be a J, where do you instruct that child? My belief is to instruct them at their instructional level, but do the word work at the level J. Others feel all instruction should take place at a J even though that child can read R or S levels.ed reading strategy based on Fountas and Pinnell. My question is this: If a student can pass a running record at an R, but the word inventory says their word work should be a J, where do you instruct that child? My belief is to instruct them at their instructional level, but do the word work at the level J. Others feel all instruction should take place athough that child can read R or S levels.

You have not stated what grade this child is in. Fountas and Pinnell believe that few, if any, children should be instructed in text more than one year above their grade level. So, first consider the grade of the student.

Next ask: Is the child comprehending with proficiency at Level R? That would have to be a determining factor in guided reading placement. I am not sure what 'word inventory' you are refering to. But, if a child is reading with accuracy and understanding, Level R texts, I would say that the child is able to problem solve words and gain meaning when provided with contextual information sources. That same child may be struggling with words in isolation.

Therefore, placement for guided reading would be a developmentally appropriate level, where the child is being successful at reading text with accuracy, fluency and understanding. The foremost reason we read is to gain meaning. You may have to include some word study to try to fill in some of the gaps, while instructing using Level R texts.

Best Wishes for Success,

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link
TCue
TCue

11 days ago
TCue
TCue
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant wrote:
TCue wrote:

Thank you for the reply. I personally teach 5th grade. Our school uses the word inventory from the Jan Richardson book on guided reading. If a 3rd grader or 4th grader is reading and comprehending R material, but does not spell words correctly on the word inventory, my school wants us to instruct them at their word work level instead of the level they are able to read at. My feeling is they should be instructed at the level they can read and comprehend, and then word work should be the skills they need more work on.
Our school uses guided reading strategy based on Fountas and Pinnell. My question is this: If a student can pass a running record at an R, but the word inventory says their word work should be a J, where do you instruct that child? My belief is to instruct them at their instructional level, but do the word work at the level J. Others feel all instruction should take place at a J even though that child can read R or S levels.

You have not stated what grade this child is in. Fountas and Pinnell believe that few, if any, children should be instructed in text more than one year above their grade level. So, first consider the grade of the student.

Next ask: Is the child comprehending with proficiency at Level R? That would have to be a determining factor in guided reading placement. I am not sure what 'word inventory' you are refering to. But, if a child is reading with accuracy and understanding, Level R texts, I would say that the child is able to problem solve words and gain meaning when provided with contextual information sources. That same child may be struggling with words in isolation.

Therefore, placement for guided reading would be a developmentally appropriate level, where the child is being successful at reading text with accuracy, fluency and understanding. The foremost reason we read is to gain meaning. You may have to include some word study to try to fill in some of the gaps, while instructing using Level R texts.

Best Wishes for Success,
0 link

11 days ago
TCue wrote:
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant wrote:
TCue wrote:

Thank you for the reply. I personally teach 5th grade. Our school uses the word inventory from the Jan Richardson book on guided reading. If a 3rd grader or 4th grader is reading and comprehending R material, but does not spell words correctly on the word inventory, my school wants us to instruct them at their word work level instead of the level they are able to read at. My feeling is they should be instructed at the level they can read and comprehend, and then word work should be the skills they need more work on.
Our school uses guided reading strategy based on Fountas and Pinnell. My question is this: If a student can pass a running record at an R, but the word inventory says their word work should be a J, where do you instruct that child? My belief is to instruct them at their instructional level, but do the word work at the level J. Others feel all instruction should take place at a J even though that child can read R or S levels.

Best Wishes for Success,

When combining two programs, it sometimes becomes confusing. If the child is instructional (considering accuracy, fluency and understanding) at level R, then it would be appropriate to use Level R texts for instruction and supplement with word study at the level needed to support progress in that area.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link