search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

LLI and Dyslexia Messages in this topic - RSS

Rhaley
Rhaley

6 days ago
Rhaley
Rhaley
My youngest daughter who is dyslexic is in first grade. She is reading a level B with her teacher and is still struggling. She has been in the LLI program since the beginning of school. Does LLI help kids with Dyslexia close the gap? If so, can you point me in the right direction of the research. I'm just trying to help my daughter. Thanks
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

5 days ago
Rhaley wrote:
My youngest daughter who is dyslexic is in first grade. She is reading a level B with her teacher and is still struggling. She has been in the LLI program since the beginning of school. Does LLI help kids with Dyslexia close the gap? If so, can you point me in the right direction of the research. I'm just trying to help my daughter. Thanks

Thank you for your question and concern. LLI should only be used with special education students, if it meets the requirements of their Individual Education Plan. Although we do not have research specifically identifying students with Dyslexia, you can see the reading progress made with Special Education children (linked below). I encourage you to continue observing your daughter's progress very closely and staying in contact with the teacher regarding what progress she has seen. Some students take very small steps at first and then move forward quickly as they acquire new understandings. However, we would expect to see improvement in individual reading behaviors on a daily if not weekly basis.

Here are some of the components of the LLI System designed to meet the needs of struggling readers:
In LLI, teachers engage students in the reading/writing process by explicitly demonstrating/modeling, prompting for and reinforcing the strategic actions involved in the literacy process. Graphic Organizers are used in the classroom/homework sheets. Pictures are added to the writing section and phonics components. Elkonin Sound and Letter boxes are used in the Phonemic and Phonic Study to promote blending and segmenting of sounds through visual, auditory and visual experiences. Magnetic letters are used to assist children in not only the look of letters, but the feel and manipulation of letters and sounds to construct, blend and segment words. Discussions occur before, during and after the reading to engage students in thinking literally, thinking beyond text by making connections and inferences and thinking about text analytically and critically.

Please refer to the following link to see the Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI)
Reading Progress for Special Education LLI students from 2009–2010: http://www.heinemann.com/fountasandpinnell/research/LLI_DataColl_SPED-subreport_JULY2011.pdf

Results of this evaluation indicate that as a group, the 824 Special Education struggling readers who received Leveled Literacy Intervention supplementary instruction demonstrated accelerated progress over the period they received LLI (Fountas and Pinnell 10-month guidelines). These results suggest that LLI is an effective short-term intervention for struggling readers who have an IEP for Reading or other categories.

Best Wishes to you, your daughter and her teacher.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link