search navigation

HomeShare Your Story

Share your story. Share your success. Be inspired by the literacy lives impacted by Fountas & Pinnell Literacy™.

Running/Reading Records as a Grade Messages in this topic - RSS

KSanchez6
KSanchez6

7 days ago
KSanchez6
KSanchez6
My child is in second grade and is reading texts at a level N. I am concerned because he was given a reading passage with a-d “comprehension” questions and this was taken as a grade.
My child failed the comprehension section but because he is a fluent reader, he barely passed this running record/comprehension assessment.
I am mom and also a teacher, and my concern is that a level he is instructional at is being assessed for a grade.
1) Is this appropriate?
2) What discussion should I have with his teachers, if I’ve discussed at the beginning of the school year that comprehension is a concern and continues to be?
3) Should my child move down levels if he’s been struggling with comprehension at this level since early Oct.?
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

6 days ago
KSanchez6 wrote:
My child is in second grade and is reading texts at a level N. I am concerned because he was given a reading passage with a-d “comprehension” questions and this was taken as a grade.
My child failed the comprehension section but because he is a fluent reader, he barely passed this running record/comprehension assessment.
I am mom and also a teacher, and my concern is that a level he is instructional at is being assessed for a grade.
1) Is this appropriate?
2) What discussion should I have with his teachers, if I’ve discussed at the beginning of the school year that comprehension is a concern and continues to be?
3) Should my child move down levels if he’s been struggling with comprehension at this level since early Oct.?

Do you have the Guided Reading, 2nd edition? It is a great resource with answers that may help you as both a teacher and parent. If you have it or any of the other Fountas and Pinnell resources I can point you to the sections to guide your thinking about a conversation with the teacher.
I think you should continue the discussion with the teacher concerning comprehension and grading reading products vs the reading process and behaviors. Your child may not struggle with comprehending the texts at Level N but with the question and one answer format of testing comprehension. Comprehending is not really that black and white in all situations. Using the Literacy Continuum with the assessment could provide more information about exactly what part of comprehending is causing the problem. I would need more information about the assessment used before making a placement decision but I would hesitate moving below grade level without more specific information. A teacher who is using the leveled texts should be able to provide more specifics about the behaviors being taught and where a student is having difficulty. (The Literacy Continuum has this information.)
There are some blogs under the ENGAGE tab and webinars related to comprehending under the EXTEND tab to give you more guidance as well.
Let me know which resources you have so I can point out some help for your conversation with the teacher.
Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link
KSanchez6
KSanchez6

6 days ago
KSanchez6
KSanchez6
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant wrote:
KSanchez6 wrote:
1) Is this appropriate?

Do you have the Guided Reading, 2nd edition? It is a great resource with answers that may help you as both a teacher and parent. If you have it or any of the other Fountas and Pinnell resources I can point you to the sections to guide your thinking about a conversation with the teacher.
I think you should continue the discussion with the teacher concerning comprehension and grading reading products vs the reading process and behaviors. Your child may not struggle with comprehending the texts at Level N but with the question and one answer format of testing comprehension. Comprehending is not really that black and white in all situations. Using the Literacy Continuum with the assessment could provide more information about exactly what part of comprehending is causing the problem. I would need more information about the assessment used before making a placement decision but I would hesitate moving below grade level without more specific information. A teacher who is using the leveled texts should be able to provide more specifics about the behaviors being taught and where a student is having difficulty. (The Literacy Continuum has this information.)
There are some blogs under the ENGAGE tab and webinars related to comprehending under the EXTEND tab to give you more guidance as well.
Let me know which resources you have so I can point out some help for your conversation with the teacher.
Best wishes for success!
Debbie

Debbie,

I am actually involved in a book study with the Guided Reading, 2nd Edition text! We as a team are so excited to have this resource! I have access to both editions, as well as the latest Literacy Continuum. I would greatly appreciate if you could point me to sections that would guide my thinking in regards to this.
Also, my child is in 2nd grade, reading at a level N, moving him down would not put him below level, but I see why we may not want to move him down if he is comprehending well during his reading group. I will have to ask about this as well. What they are accessing him with is a reading record that is not previously read. It is not a book, but a passage that includes comprehension questions in a bubbling format.
edited by KSanchez6 on 11/13/2017
0 link

5 days ago
KSanchez6 wrote:
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant wrote:
KSanchez6 wrote:
1) Is this appropriate?

Best wishes for success!
Debbie

Debbie,

I am actually involved in a book study with the Guided Reading, 2nd Edition text! We as a team are so excited to have this resource! I have access to both editions, as well as the latest Literacy Continuum. I would greatly appreciate if you could point me to sections that would guide my thinking in regards to this.
Also, my child is in 2nd grade, reading at a level N, moving him down would not put him below level, but I see why we may not want to move him down if he is comprehending well during his reading group. I will have to ask about this as well. What they are accessing him with is a reading record that is not previously read. It is not a book, but a passage that includes comprehension questions in a bubbling format.

Wonderful!
I think chapter 20 in the 2nd edition of Guided Reading has information on comprehending that will help you articulate your thoughts in a conversation with your son's teacher.
The resource Guiding Readers and Writers has a nice section on "Grading" beginning on p. 502. Fountas and Pinnell promote the use of portfolios or readers notebooks to capture change over time as evidence of learning. The use of Readers' Notebooks are explained in the chapter on managing literacy in the intermediate classroom (p. 557-565). Other ways to extend understanding are described on p. 150-151.
Test formats are included in teaching but as a separate genre, not to be used for instruction and evaluation. The section in Guided Reading beginning on p. 211 describes this authentic assessment and the rationales for assessments. Accountability is addressed briefly on p. 518. In Teaching for Comprehending and Fluency they quote Hargreaves' challenge for educators from 2005 (on p. 329) ".. to ask how we can improve the literacy of all our children rather than how we can improve their literacy scores." It is this vision of creating literate lifelong learners that has prompted Fountas and Pinnell's work for over 20 years. (Guided Reading p. 503, 287-288)
This should get you started in preparing for a conversation with your son's teacher as well as thinking about your own classroom!
Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link