search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

Benchmark assessments Messages in this topic - RSS

tkuntz
tkuntz

5 days ago
tkuntz
tkuntz
We have just completed benchmark assessments. We have a few students who have not progressed using the LLI system. Would it be more beneficial to repeat the lessons and the word work for the level they did not pass or use books from the resource room at that level or a combination of both...repeating the lessons but adding in different texts for them to read?
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

4 days ago
tkuntz wrote:
We have just completed benchmark assessments. We have a few students who have not progressed using the LLI system. Would it be more beneficial to repeat the lessons and the word work for the level they did not pass or use books from the resource room at that level or a combination of both...repeating the lessons but adding in different texts for them to read?

The first thing to do when children are not making progress in LLI is to explore the reasons.
  • Use the Teacher Reflection Tools for lessons and the Administrators Tool for Implementation to try to pinpoint what might be causing this lack of progress. (These are found in your Online Resources)
  • You also need to analyze the children's responding during lessons and on the Reading Records to identify the areas of difficulty. The Guide for Observing and Noting Reading Behaviors is a helpful tool for this analysis of the children's learning (or lack of learning).
  • If you are using the Primary systems the teacher resource When Readers Struggle address ten areas of difficulty in chapter 3. Teaching for all of these areas are then described in more detail throughout the rest of the book. You can use the Figure found on p. 33 with the Table of Contents to locate helpful guidance to teach hard for the areas of difficulty you identify for each student not making progress.
  • Check the behaviors noted on the benchmark assessment with the behaviors noted in lessons and on Reading Records from the Even-numbered lessons with the Literacy Continuum Goals and Expectations to make decisions about what kind of instruction is needed.

This analysis should give you the information to make the decision about whether to repeat lessons or continue with more focused goals selected.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link
SSwinea
SSwinea

3 days ago
SSwinea
SSwinea
Thank you tkuntz for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing.

Debbie, I appreciate your response and will use your suggestions; however, I do have a question. I am currently working with a group of 2nd graders in the Blue Kit. They started on a level G. We are currently on a level J in the Blue Kit but when I did the BAS with them they leveled on an H. I feel like I need to go back and make sure they master these skills before moving forward. I was thinking of going to a level H in the Green Kit. What is your opinion about this?
0 link

3 days ago
SSwinea wrote:
Thank you tkuntz for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing.

Debbie, I appreciate your response and will use your suggestions; however, I do have a question. I am currently working with a group of 2nd graders in the Blue Kit. They started on a level G. We are currently on a level J in the Blue Kit but when I did the BAS with them they leveled on an H. I feel like I need to go back and make sure they master these skills before moving forward. I was thinking of going to a level H in the Green Kit. What is your opinion about this?

Again I would be more concerned to figure out which behaviors caused the difference not just the scores, numbers, or letters. In lessons you are providing support but the BAS is read with no support other than a brief introduction so it is not uncommon for some students who struggle with reading to score slightly lower. However you should note the patterns of responses to see how far apart they really are.
  • Was it a repeated error or pattern of error (dropped inflectional endings, misread the middle parts of words when searching or solving) that made the accuracy rate drop?
  • Was it a particular way of thinking or articulating their thinking during or after reading that impacted their scores? (check the Oral Communication and IRA sections of the Continuum for some tips on the kinds of teaching they need then look in the Prompting Guide 2 under Book Discussions for language to facilitate that talk.)
  • Reread the information about typical readers at levels H, I, J found on the first page of each level in the GR Continuum section to see which most closely describes your students. Then look at the specific behaviors especially the red bullets to see if the same behaviors can be addressed in the Level J lessons.
  • Check the characteristics of texts for each of those levels. Have the students been taught about the genres, content, text structures, etc. through IRA and SR in the classroom? Sometimes there are disconnects or lack of consistency in the regular classroom curriculum that can cause or add to a gap. (When Readers Struggle chapter 1 addresses this consistent vision in a school.)

Lots of factors make teaching reading very complex! Hope this gives you more food for thought in making these decisions. I know your students will benefit from your diligent search to do what is best for them.
Best wishes for continued success!
Debbie
0 link