search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

test administration Messages in this topic - RSS

Ctoti
Ctoti

6 days ago
Ctoti
Ctoti
Hello Everyone,
I have a few questions on administration. Currently, my district gives the BAS three times a year (fall, winter, spring) and each time all three levels (independent, instructional, frustration) are determined. Our teachers use up a lot of instructional time administering the assessment where instructional time is lost. Much of this information is collected during conferring and strategy groups.

I am looking for methods to save time while still keeping the reliability of the assessment.

1. What levels have to be determined for a diagnostic tool? The highest instructional level. What is the purpose of indicating independent level?
2. Can we administer the assessment beginning of November and May?
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

6 days ago
Ctoti wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I have a few questions on administration. Currently, my district gives the BAS three times a year (fall, winter, spring) and each time all three levels (independent, instructional, frustration) are determined. Our teachers use up a lot of instructional time administering the assessment where instructional time is lost. Much of this information is collected during conferring and strategy groups.

I am looking for methods to save time while still keeping the reliability of the assessment.

1. What levels have to be determined for a diagnostic tool? The highest instructional level. What is the purpose of indicating independent level?
2. Can we administer the assessment beginning of November and May?

The 3 levels are used to determine placement as described in the Assessment Guide on page 2 and continues in Section 3 (p. 43 in BAS 1 3rd edition). The three levels are needed to confirm the reliability of the assessment conference. However the levels themselves are not the only factor, the analysis of the records and student's behaviors compared with the Literacy Continuum should carry more weight.

Page 3 describes that the assessment can be given one-four times per year. That decision is up to the school or district. You might find the blog from Aug. 28th confirms your belief that much of the ongoing assessment is done during daily instruction. http://blog.fountasandpinnell.com/post/the-power-and-purpose-of-assessment Too much assessment is not the best use of time in many situations. There is a white paper under the EXTEND/Resource Library/Literacy Leadership tab that may help administrators have a better understanding of the purposes of BAS. http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/resourcelibrary/id/338

Thanks for being so diligent in maintaining the integrity of the assessments while understanding the importance of time in instruction. Best wishes for continuing success!
Debbie
0 link