search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

If there is no instructional level: Messages in this topic - RSS

weegarden
weegarden

12/14/2017
weegarden
weegarden
If there is no instructional level and a very strong independent score on the previous level, do you generally mark recommended placement as the next level, or do you keep them a the independent level.

I personally tend to keep them at the independent level, and figure that it doesn't hurt to work there and quickly push them up to the next level using the Continuum. But, I struggle with reporting for administration. I almost always give them the independent level, but is this the right thing to do? What do you all think?
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

12/14/2017
weegarden wrote:
If there is no instructional level and a very strong independent score on the previous level, do you generally mark recommended placement as the next level, or do you keep them a the independent level.

I personally tend to keep them at the independent level, and figure that it doesn't hurt to work there and quickly push them up to the next level using the Continuum. But, I struggle with reporting for administration. I almost always give them the independent level, but is this the right thing to do? What do you all think?

You have asked a great question. With a strong independent level preceding a frustration level text during assessment, it means that there are some weaknesses in the strategic actions necessary to advance to the next level. In Section 3 of the Assessment Guide, there is a detailed listing of behaviors that we need to examine under the heading: When the Numbers Do Not Line Up and the chart that follows gives strong support for your current practice. You are making appropriate decisions with regard to placement. Fountas and Pinnell always suggest referring to the Continuum for guidance in choosing appropriate instructional goals to support advancement. The child will need to strengthen his/her reading behaviors prior to moving forward. As you indicated, it is never wise to place the child in frustration level texts.The strategies required to read the more complex texts puts undo pressure on them and requires more support given by the teacher. Placing them at their independent level (when the next level is hard) allows them to strengthen the behaviors needed to read more complex text.

Bravo!!! You are making great decisions regarding appropriate placement.
edited by Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant on 12/14/2017

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link
Stef Iwashyna
Stef Iwashyna

4/12/2018
Stef Iwashyna
Stef Iwashyna
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant wrote:
weegarden wrote:

You have asked a great question. With a strong independent level preceding a frustration level text during assessment, it means that there are some weaknesses in the strategic actions necessary to advance to the next level. In Section 3 of the Assessment Guide, there is a detailed listing of behaviors that we need to examine under the heading: When the Numbers Do Not Line Up and the chart that follows gives strong support for your current practice. You are making appropriate decisions with regard to placement. Fountas and Pinnell always suggest referring to the Continuum for guidance in choosing appropriate instructional goals to support advancement. The child will need to strengthen his/her reading behaviors prior to moving forward. As you indicated, it is never wise to place the child in frustration level texts.The strategies required to read the more complex texts puts undo pressure on them and requires more support given by the teacher. Placing them at their independent level (when the next level is hard) allows them to strengthen the behaviors needed to read more complex text.

0 link

4/12/2018
Stef Iwashyna wrote:
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant wrote:
weegarden wrote:

Hi Stef,
Did you have a question about this topic? No additional comments were recorded in your post.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link