search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

LLI Orange w/ 1st grade Messages in this topic - RSS

ReachingAllReaders
ReachingAllReaders

20 days ago
I have a few 1st grade students who are struggling/not making much progress within the lower levels (B/C) of the Green System. Would it be appropriate to use the Orange LLI kit with them since it also contains B/C books?
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

20 days ago
ReachingAllReaders wrote:
I have a few 1st grade students who are struggling/not making much progress within the lower levels (B/C) of the Green System. Would it be appropriate to use the Orange LLI kit with them since it also contains B/C books?

The Green System is more appropriate for first graders. If your students are not making progress it is a good idea to use the Lesson Reflection Guides in your online resources and the Guide for Observing and Noting Reading Behaviors to try to figure our why they are not taking on the early behaviors of Levels B and C after this long in school. When Readers Struggle has some great suggestions in Chapter 10 (actually chapters 7-12). It is critical that they learn the early behaviors. Take a look at the Continuum as you analyze their Reading Records and your observations during lessons to see if they can work in the Level C texts.
Do you have a literacy coach who could observe the lessons and provide another set of "eyes" to see what might be preventing progress? This is when the literacy team works together!
Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link
ToriKate
ToriKate

12 days ago
ToriKate
ToriKate
We have also had this question in our district. I believe it says in the Program Guide that you can, in fact, use the colors/levels at different grade levels. While orange is most appropriate for kindergarten, it can be used with first graders that need a little bit of extra instruction from the Booster. We have been told that "a D is a D is a D is a D" -- no matter what color you are working from. I do not have the Program Guide with me at this moment, but I'd be happy to find the spot in the Guide that states this. It is actually stated in each Guide for each color.
0 link

12 days ago
ToriKate wrote:
We have also had this question in our district. I believe it says in the Program Guide that you can, in fact, use the colors/levels at different grade levels. While orange is most appropriate for kindergarten, it can be used with first graders that need a little bit of extra instruction from the Booster. We have been told that "a D is a D is a D is a D" -- no matter what color you are working from. I do not have the Program Guide with me at this moment, but I'd be happy to find the spot in the Guide that states this. It is actually stated in each Guide for each color.

Yes you can use the levels from any system with any student. It is tricky to give you an exact page number without knowing which edition of which color Guide you are using since they don't always match. It is stated on p. 8-9 in the Green LLI System Guide, 2nd edition.

The hesitation is that one area of difficulty causing students to go off track is in engaging students or motivating their interests in the books selected. (see When Readers Struggle chapters 3, 6, 20) The purpose of LLI is to accelerate learning and if we are adding to the number of lessons per level it is slowing down the accelerated learning. It is more important to find out why the lack of progress is occurring and teach hard for that area of difficulty.

Thank you for the follow-up!
Debbie
edited by Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant on 1/11/2018
0 link