search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Spanish Literacy Expectation for English Speakers Messages in this topic - RSS

gpsdl
gpsdl

11 days ago
gpsdl
gpsdl
I'm wondering if a research-based grade level expectation exists specifically for second language learners or, more specifically, for native English speakers enrolled in a two-way Spanish immersion program. Currently, our district is expecting our NES to perform at the exact same level that they would in English-only, at every step of the way K-4. My training says this is not appropriate yet we cannot change it without some quantified research-based reference to point to.
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

11 days ago
gpsdl wrote:
I'm wondering if a research-based grade level expectation exists specifically for second language learners or, more specifically, for native English speakers enrolled in a two-way Spanish immersion program. Currently, our district is expecting our NES to perform at the exact same level that they would in English-only, at every step of the way K-4. My training says this is not appropriate yet we cannot change it without some quantified research-based reference to point to.

For national research on education topics I generally go to the What Works Clearinghouse website. Unfortunately school systems are tied to the laws for the state with regards to educating English Language Learners. There are many controversies surrounding this topic as found in the following Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-language_learner description. Fountas and Pinnell's research has shown that ELL students make tremendous progress in LLI. You can find the LLI research under the Extend/Research tabs. http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/research/
Search the information from the experts in that field to share with your district and state leaders.
Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link
gpsdl
gpsdl

11 days ago
gpsdl
gpsdl
That’s not what I’m asking.

There are resources that concur with F&P Benchmarking kit that show normed expectations at each point of each grade level in English. I’m wondering if a resource also exists that would concur with the Spanish version of their benchmarking kit that shows expectations in the Spanish language. As the languages are different, it may not make sense for a student learning language X to be at the same level as student learning language Y after the same duration of instruction. Furthermore, students learning a second language could be expected to also follow a different trajectory. My question is not about English learners - but rather SPANISH learners. Is there anything that has been normed to show what can be expected in Spanish at each grade level like their is for English?
0 link

10 days ago
gpsdl wrote:

There are resources that concur with F&P Benchmarking kit that show normed expectations at each point of each grade level in English. I’m wondering if a resource also exists that would concur with the Spanish version of their benchmarking kit that shows expectations in the Spanish language. As the languages are different, it may not make sense for a student learning language X to be at the same level as student learning language Y after the same duration of instruction. Furthermore, students learning a second language could be expected to also follow a different trajectory. My question is not about English learners - but rather SPANISH learners. Is there anything that has been normed to show what can be expected in Spanish at each grade level like their is for English?

Sorry. No, Fountas and Pinnell do not have any LLI systems, FP Classroom systems written in Spanish.
0 link

10 days ago
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant wrote:
gpsdl wrote:

Sorry. No, Fountas and Pinnell do not have any LLI systems, FP Classroom systems written in Spanish.

In the information found with the SEL Assessment system it states that it was...
" Carefully developed and leveled by an advisory panel under the supervision of Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell, the Spanish A–N leveling system was developed to parallel the F&P Text Level Gradient™, incorporating text characteristics specific to Spanish for each level."
The graphs and information in your System Guide should be what you use. I am not sure a comparison has been made between English and Spanish leaners since Fountas and Pinnell do not have any Spanish materials to make that comparison. You would need to seek other researchers in the field for that information.
However consider the goals in the Continuum for each language. Why would students learning in English and students learning in Spanish need different rates for making progress? It sounds like you need to contact researchers who have done studies with Spanish learners. I'm sorry I can't help you. I will try to contact the advisory panel for someone who might be able to help.
Debbie
0 link
gpsdl
gpsdl

10 days ago
gpsdl
gpsdl
“Why would students learning in English and students learning in Spanish need different rates for making progress?”

Although all languages are connected by universal grammar and our ability to learn languages, English and Spanish (or any other language) have very different structures, phonetic representations, and associated naturally occurring phonemic processes that make teaching, learning, and correlated expectations different for the each. Furthermore, students who are learning a language as a second, third, etc, rely on a different set of strategies to read and comprehend.

As the popularity of language immersion schools and programs continues to rise in the English-speaking world, it would make sense for a company that has created a system of evaluation of reading skills in a language also create a reference for expectations in that language (as they did for English).

That’s why I was wondering if there was something comparable to this, but for Spanish:

https://www.heinemann.com/fountasandpinnell/handouts/instructionallevelexpectationsforreading.pdf

Thanks for your time, Debbie. If I happen to find something I’ll update you!
0 link

9 days ago
gpsdl wrote:
“Why would students learning in English and students learning in Spanish need different rates for making progress?”

Although all languages are connected by universal grammar and our ability to learn languages, English and Spanish (or any other language) have very different structures, phonetic representations, and associated naturally occurring phonemic processes that make teaching, learning, and correlated expectations different for the each. Furthermore, students who are learning a language as a second, third, etc, rely on a different set of strategies to read and comprehend.

As the popularity of language immersion schools and programs continues to rise in the English-speaking world, it would make sense for a company that has created a system of evaluation of reading skills in a language also create a reference for expectations in that language (as they did for English).

That’s why I was wondering if there was something comparable to this, but for Spanish:

https://www.heinemann.com/fountasandpinnell/handouts/instructionallevelexpectationsforreading.pdf

I understand the difference in learning to read in English is different than that of learning to read in Spanish but I do not understand why the grade level expectations should change because of the language difference alone. The Benchmarks were created in Spanish for those who are in ELL situations who speak Spanish but are learning to read in English, not for those learning to read in Spanish. They help give the teachers a starting point for instruction because of the knowledge shown in the assessment about thinking when reading. From your questions I think you are looking for something that correlates learning to read in English with learning to read in Spanish- that is different and unavailable from Fountas and Pinnell since they have not created materials in Spanish for teaching reading in Spanish (yet! There hasn't been time for them to spend on that yet. They are leaving that task to those who are more expert in teaching reading in Spanish.)
I understand your frustration. Perhaps you can help create some! Thank you for your efforts to spread the word about the need. We hear it often. I would appreciate any information you do find. Thank you! Debbie
0 link

7 days ago
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant wrote:
gpsdl wrote:

I understand the difference in learning to read in English is different than that of learning to read in Spanish but I do not understand why the grade level expectations should change because of the language difference alone. The Benchmarks were created in Spanish for those who are in ELL situations who speak Spanish but are learning to read in English, not for those learning to read in Spanish. They help give the teachers a starting point for instruction because of the knowledge shown in the assessment about thinking when reading. From your questions I think you are looking for something that correlates learning to read in English with learning to read in Spanish- that is different and unavailable from Fountas and Pinnell since they have not created materials in Spanish for teaching reading in Spanish (yet! There hasn't been time for them to spend on that yet. They are leaving that task to those who are more expert in teaching reading in Spanish.)
I understand your frustration. Perhaps you can help create some! Thank you for your efforts to spread the word about the need. We hear it often. I would appreciate any information you do find. Thank you! Debbie

I thought of one trusted source to seek information but it is only for young emerging readers to the end of first grade. Descrubriendo la Lectura (DLL) the Spanish version of Reading Recovery may have some correlations for those levels. Check for information on the RRCNA website. -D
0 link