search navigation

HomeFountas & Pinnell Classroom

Lift students' learning beyond the walls of the classroom with texts and a blueprint for teaching that create authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting to realize what it truly means to live a literate life.

Problem-Based Literacy Learning Messages in this topic - RSS

CKSM
CKSM

3/13/2018
CKSM
CKSM
Hello,

I am interested in building connections between your fantastic literacy resources and a problem-based learning approach in the primary classroom. In this context, I use problem-based learning to mean organizing project-based learning inquiry around a central ill-defined or open-ended problem for students to collaboratively explore. This is a model of collaborative learning that should incorporate cross-curricular content and draw on learning strategies from multiple domains, and thus I am interested in how to infuse elements of meaningful literacy learning into this approach.

For many years, I have used Fountas & Pinnell literacy resources for implementing rigorous and research-informed balanced literacy instruction in my primary classroom. In particular, the word study program and the levelled reading and genre kits are resources I really value for fostering student growth in both reading skill and motivation. As I move toward an increasingly problem-based learning approach in my pedagogy, I am interested in exploring ways to incorporate your research-based literacy instruction into a problem-based learning model. While I do not intend to have this model replace the balanced literacy program I have in place, I do hope to explore more meaningful ways to complement and extend literacy learning within a problem-based inquiry model. What guidance and resources would you suggest for infusing meaningful literacy learning into problem-based inquiries at the primary level? Are there any particular resources that you see as appropriate for this type of learning? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

3/13/2018
CKSM wrote:
Hello,

I am interested in building connections between your fantastic literacy resources and a problem-based learning approach in the primary classroom. In this context, I use problem-based learning to mean organizing project-based learning inquiry around a central ill-defined or open-ended problem for students to collaboratively explore. This is a model of collaborative learning that should incorporate cross-curricular content and draw on learning strategies from multiple domains, and thus I am interested in how to infuse elements of meaningful literacy learning into this approach.

For many years, I have used Fountas & Pinnell literacy resources for implementing rigorous and research-informed balanced literacy instruction in my primary classroom. In particular, the word study program and the levelled reading and genre kits are resources I really value for fostering student growth in both reading skill and motivation. As I move toward an increasingly problem-based learning approach in my pedagogy, I am interested in exploring ways to incorporate your research-based literacy instruction into a problem-based learning model. While I do not intend to have this model replace the balanced literacy program I have in place, I do hope to explore more meaningful ways to complement and extend literacy learning within a problem-based inquiry model. What guidance and resources would you suggest for infusing meaningful literacy learning into problem-based inquiries at the primary level? Are there any particular resources that you see as appropriate for this type of learning? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

The most useful resource you should have is the Literacy Continuum. It has the goals and expectations for the entire literacy framework around which to infuse your inquiry-based content instruction. These are very specific goals that can be used in guiding thinking for any content selected. The new FP Classroom Interactive Read Aloud lessons and Shared Reading lessons include suggestions for linking to content areas, writing, and word study. You can find more information under the EXPLORE tab above.

Best wishes as you continue your investigation.
Debbie
+1 link
CKSM
CKSM

3/14/2018
CKSM
CKSM
Thank you so much, Debbie! I appreciate your prompt and helpful reply. Using the literacy continuum document to guide PBL inquiry planning is a great idea, and in looking through, I see that the shared reading and read aloud lessons also offer meaningful content area connections to infuse these components of reading instruction into broader inquiries. Thank you for your suggestions and for directing me to these great resources!

Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant wrote:
CKSM wrote:
Hello,

The most useful resource you should have is the Literacy Continuum. It has the goals and expectations for the entire literacy framework around which to infuse your inquiry-based content instruction. These are very specific goals that can be used in guiding thinking for any content selected. The new FP Classroom Interactive Read Aloud lessons and Shared Reading lessons include suggestions for linking to content areas, writing, and word study. You can find more information under the EXPLORE tab above.

Debbie
0 link

3/15/2018
I hadn't noticed that the blog from March 1st was related to this topic! http://blog.fountasandpinnell.com/post/nurture-young-learners-curiosity-through-inquiry

CKSM wrote:
Thank you so much, Debbie! I appreciate your prompt and helpful reply. Using the literacy continuum document to guide PBL inquiry planning is a great idea, and in looking through, I see that the shared reading and read aloud lessons also offer meaningful content area connections to infuse these components of reading instruction into broader inquiries. Thank you for your suggestions and for directing me to these great resources!

I hadn't noticed that the blog from March 1st was related to this topic! http://blog.fountasandpinnell.com/post/nurture-young-learners-curiosity-through-inquiry

Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant wrote:
CKSM wrote:
Hello,

Debbie

edited by Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant on 3/15/2018
0 link