search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

pushing words Messages in this topic - RSS

Karenvt
Karenvt

4/16/2018
Karenvt
Karenvt
I'm seeking advice on a suggested strategy. I am working with a first grade boy who finished Reading Recovery and is now in LLI. He struggles to read complete sentences, often repeating a phrase multiple times - even with a familiar book. When he and the other child are whisper reading i try to run my finger on top of the sentence as a guide. clearly I cant do this full time. His RR teacher was surprised by his struggle.She wants me to use a card to "push" his words. I understand this works 1:1, but I'm not comfortable giving all my attention to him. Has anyone else run into this situation?

On a positive note, he loves being in our reading group, and looks forward to each book!
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

4/16/2018
Karenvt wrote:
I'm seeking advice on a suggested strategy. I am working with a first grade boy who finished Reading Recovery and is now in LLI. He struggles to read complete sentences, often repeating a phrase multiple times - even with a familiar book. When he and the other child are whisper reading i try to run my finger on top of the sentence as a guide. clearly I cant do this full time. His RR teacher was surprised by his struggle.She wants me to use a card to "push" his words. I understand this works 1:1, but I'm not comfortable giving all my attention to him. Has anyone else run into this situation?

On a positive note, he loves being in our reading group, and looks forward to each book!

This approach is actually suggested in the Red System Guide and could be a very useful tool to demonstrate fluency. Since it is a familiar text, he already has the meaning from a previous reading, so now would be the perfect opportunity to work on fluency. He may be working too hard to make sure every word he reads is perfect which in turn may cause his eye to ‘fixate’ on each word. You want him to learn to glance at the text and read. His eyes need to start traveling ahead of his mouth. When the boys are whisper reading (independently of one another), this is your opportunity to focus on each child separately and would be a perfect time to try using the card to gently push his eyes ahead, There is a great demonstration of this procedure on the LLI Red System disc. If needed, you could take a day to work on fluency with both boys, bringing out some of their familiar books and using the card alternately with each boy. It never hurts to spend some time on building fluency since fluency and comprehension go hand in hand.

Here is an excerpt form the Red System Guide: Rate Mover:
It is often necessary to help students increase their reading rate. Some students, even when reading with high accuracy, tend to move along slowly. Select a paragraph and read it several times to students, modeling how to get a little faster each time. Be sure to control the reading so that it is not too fast and also to use all other dimensions of fluency. Sometimes when students try to read fast, they become robotic and expressionless. Have students read the paragraph two or three times to a partner, attempting to read it a little faster each time, but never too fast. If time allows, have students reverse roles. It may be necessary to help the reader’s eyes move across the text by moving a small card across the text to speed up tracking. Afterward, you can ask to read the text again quickly and smoothly without the card.

We wish you success.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link