search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Reading Levels and Report Card Grades Messages in this topic - RSS

MrsKFloyd
MrsKFloyd

3 days ago
MrsKFloyd
MrsKFloyd
Our school uses F & P to assess students for their current reading levels. Those levels are then converted into a percentage and put into the child's report card for a grade. These results are also used to retain students in their current grade level. I am a parent/teacher, and do not believe we should tell kids and parents their reading levels. It has made parents very anxious all year long about where their child is and what grade will show up on the report card. There is also debate about what percentage a child should receive based on their level. For example- a child who is in 3rd grade is expected to end the year at a level p. If they master that goal in May, they earn an 80% on their report card. Would this even be the correct percentage to give a child? Should we even be giving a percentage and putting this on a report card? I also feel like I am making kids sad when they compare themselves to other readers in the class. Any help with this would be great. Thanks.
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

3 days ago
MrsKFloyd wrote:
Our school uses F & P to assess students for their current reading levels. Those levels are then converted into a percentage and put into the child's report card for a grade. These results are also used to retain students in their current grade level. I am a parent/teacher, and do not believe we should tell kids and parents their reading levels. It has made parents very anxious all year long about where their child is and what grade will show up on the report card. There is also debate about what percentage a child should receive based on their level. For example- a child who is in 3rd grade is expected to end the year at a level p. If they master that goal in May, they earn an 80% on their report card. Would this even be the correct percentage to give a child? Should we even be giving a percentage and putting this on a report card? I also feel like I am making kids sad when they compare themselves to other readers in the class. Any help with this would be great. Thanks.

The blog from Sept. 29, 2016 addresses these concerns well. http://blog.fountasandpinnell.com/post/a-level-is-a-teacher-s-tool-not-a-child-s-label What you describe is NOT how the text gradient or Benchmark Assessment Systems were designed to be used. Guided Reading, 2nd edition states, "It is not necessary for students or families to discuss, or even to know the specific text levels of the books students are reading. Those categories are complex and are used only as a teacher tool for instruction. You don't want to give the impression that a level is a "score" to achieve." (p. 214)

Reading levels represent ranges of behaviors and understandings needed to process texts at that level, not a precise sequence through which all readers must pass. They should not be a limitation or a requirement. Books are leveled in approximate groups for teachers to choose for instruction. Teachers must still analyze texts and the behaviors of the readers to make decisions about instruction with the text. Guided Reading p. 295 provides Figure 13-2 describing what a text gradient is and is not. This figure can be found in the white paper from the Resource Library under the Extend tab. http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/Authenticated/ResourceDocuments/BAS_3_Admin_FP_Text_Gradient_Overview_2_8-23-16.pdf

The paper describing text complexity may help provide rationales for basing grades on the behaviors and understandings found in the Continuum not scores and levels, numbers and letters, alone. http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/resourcelibrary/resource?id=280 The free webinars found at http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/resourcelibrary/default?type=videos may provide more information.

Please continue to have these discussions in your school to change this inappropriate practice.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link
MrsKFloyd
MrsKFloyd

3 days ago
MrsKFloyd
MrsKFloyd
Thank you so much for your reply. I am supposed to have a brief meeting today in regards to this. My son is a student in our building, and has earned an F on his report card for not being at the level he needs to be. I am upset by this. I am a teacher in the same building who does not put these grades into the grade book. I can't seem to click on any of the links. It leads me to a blank a screen. Any help with that? I love that it says the level is a not a "score" to achieve.
Thanks, again.
0 link

3 days ago
MrsKFloyd wrote:
Thank you so much for your reply. I am supposed to have a brief meeting today in regards to this. My son is a student in our building, and has earned an F on his report card for not being at the level he needs to be. I am upset by this. I am a teacher in the same building who does not put these grades into the grade book. I can't seem to click on any of the links. It leads me to a blank a screen. Any help with that? I love that it says the level is a not a "score" to achieve.
Thanks, again.

I'm sorry. I'm not sure why the links are not working. The white papers and webinars are under the Extend tab/Instructional Tools above. You can do a search for 'text levels, gradient' and the blog should be one of the sources. Perhaps you can copy and paste the links in your browser to get to them.

http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/resourcelibrary/resource?id=337

The blogs can be found under the ENGAGE tab/blogs. On the right click on the year then month and scroll to the Sept. 29, 2016 blog referenced.

If this continues to be a problem the tech dept may need to help us!
Debbie
0 link