search navigation

HomeClassroom Resources

Posts relating to Continuum, Word Study Guide, Choice Libraries, Select Collections and Genre Sets, the Leveled Book Website, or Prompting Guide

LLI texts for middle school Messages in this topic - RSS

LauraGarciaDavila
LauraGarciaDavila

6 days ago
I enjoy using LLI. However, my middle school students do not like the books, especially the fictional texts. Do you have any recommended list of books (levels M - Q) more appropriate and more interesting to middle school students? Thanks!
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

6 days ago
LauraGarciaDavila wrote:
I enjoy using LLI. However, my middle school students do not like the books, especially the fictional texts. Do you have any recommended list of books (levels M - Q) more appropriate and more interesting to middle school students? Thanks!

Keep in mind that your students' reading levels are typically average for students in grades 2-4. Part of the leveling system is matching the content and developmentally appropriate topics and themes. Are your students in the Purple and Teal systems where books were developed at the lower levels for readers in for grades 5-8? You may also want to look closely at the Continuum goals to see where your students are off track in learning so you can be more specific in the teaching that will help them shift to the higher levels where the content and themes are more appealing to them.
There are Choice libraries to accompany LLI (http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/choicelibraries/) where you can find more NF texts for your students.
Fountas and Pinnell have many lists of books in their professional books and the Leveled Books Website. (Explore under the EXPLORE tab.)
New books are being developed for FP Classroom that may help provide more text selections for you.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link