search navigation

HomeClassroom Resources

Posts relating to Continuum, Word Study Guide, Choice Libraries, Select Collections and Genre Sets, the Leveled Book Website, or Prompting Guide

LLI texts for middle school Messages in this topic - RSS

LauraGarciaDavila
LauraGarciaDavila

7/11/2018
I enjoy using LLI. However, my middle school students do not like the books, especially the fictional texts. Do you have any recommended list of books (levels M - Q) more appropriate and more interesting to middle school students? Thanks!
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

7/11/2018
LauraGarciaDavila wrote:
I enjoy using LLI. However, my middle school students do not like the books, especially the fictional texts. Do you have any recommended list of books (levels M - Q) more appropriate and more interesting to middle school students? Thanks!

Keep in mind that your students' reading levels are typically average for students in grades 2-4. Part of the leveling system is matching the content and developmentally appropriate topics and themes. Are your students in the Purple and Teal systems where books were developed at the lower levels for readers in for grades 5-8? You may also want to look closely at the Continuum goals to see where your students are off track in learning so you can be more specific in the teaching that will help them shift to the higher levels where the content and themes are more appealing to them.
There are Choice libraries to accompany LLI (http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/choicelibraries/) where you can find more NF texts for your students.
Fountas and Pinnell have many lists of books in their professional books and the Leveled Books Website. (Explore under the EXPLORE tab.)
New books are being developed for FP Classroom that may help provide more text selections for you.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link
Mrs. Morgan
Mrs. Morgan

9/21/2018
Mrs. Morgan
Mrs. Morgan
I totally agree about the age appropriate books for lower readers. I have 5th graders with learning disabilities reading at level A. The age appropriate kits do not start that low. I would LOVE to see some older age kits that are developed for the lowest readers. We are making LLI work but have very limited options for independent reading books. Please please create a classroom book resource that includes levels A-M for students in grades 5-8!
0 link

9/24/2018
Mrs. Morgan wrote:
I totally agree about the age appropriate books for lower readers. I have 5th graders with learning disabilities reading at level A. The age appropriate kits do not start that low. I would LOVE to see some older age kits that are developed for the lowest readers. We are making LLI work but have very limited options for independent reading books. Please please create a classroom book resource that includes levels A-M for students in grades 5-8!

We must have good classroom instruction so students do not fall that far below grade level. Interventions are developed for students 1-1.5 years below grade level. Interventions must start earlier to prevent larger gaps which often become learning disabilities in older readers. FP Classroom has been developed for classroom instruction. Teachers may use the Guided Reading lessons in the classroom along with the LLI intervention plus the other lessons for the multitext approach to help students make accelerated progress. You are correct, these students need more Independent Reading. There are Choice Libraries with independent reading selections, FPC IR, and other options for independent reading beyond LLI. They also need specific teaching using the language from the Prompting Guides. Check out the Choice Libraries and Select Collections which may help you provide more texts for your students. http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/intervention/ FPC can be found at http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/fpc/.

I would seriously question that a 5th grade student does not know how to attend to print, thus needs levels A-B. Look carefully in the Literacy Continuum for the characteristics of readers to see exactly where their breakdown occurs and teach hard for those behaviors. Most often they do not know how to solve words quickly and efficiently using a range of strategies. They try one way (sound it out - the least efficient way to solve) and give up. They are not agents of their own learning but wait for someone to tell them words rather than solving them. I suggest borrowing a copy of When Readers Struggle to read chapters 13-17 for these older students to catch up by teaching them to use more efficient strategic actions.

It is so scary how often we hear about these older readers being so far below grade level. It should rarely, if ever, happen. We have to prevent the failure.

Best wishes as you work hard for these students.
Debbie
0 link