search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

References Messages in this topic - RSS

MsO.SpedTeacher
MsO.SpedTeacher

6 days ago
I wrote a post a few months back on "How far do you go?" Thank you for your response! I appreciate it!
I'm wondering if there is a direct place, a quote, from F&P that I may reference in regards to not assessing over a year above where they currently are??? If I read the response correctly, that's what I got from it, which I agree with. I have the F&P 3rd edition kit, both levels, available to use as references.

Thank you for your assistance.
0 link
MsO.SpedTeacher
MsO.SpedTeacher

6 days ago
I wanted to add that I understand it is one year above in grade level, not where they currently are......I'm sorry, wanted to clear that up.
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

3 days ago
MsO.SpedTeacher wrote:
I wanted to add that I understand it is one year above in grade level, not where they currently are......I'm sorry, wanted to clear that up.

I will need to search further to see if it has actually been printed in the resources available. Drs. Fountas and Pinnell have talked about this many times in conversations with teachers in sessions across the country. There is no set cut-off as far as I know. It always depends on the child and what is best for the child's instruction.

Think about the purpose of why you are using the Benchmark Assessment System. If it is to find placement for instruction follow the suggestions in the blog referenced below with the Daily Lit Bit from Nov 16, 2016 in mind. The analysis of the Reading Record with the behaviors expected for the level as described in the Literacy Continuum should provide the answer. At some point the students may be reading words accurately with some fluency, and with some comprehension at levels above grade level expectations. The analysis is what gives evidence for the best placement for instruction. It is better to go deeper and wider within a level that is grade level appropriate than to keep moving up the alphabet of the text gradient. Note the text characteristics in your analysis as well. The ten text characteristics include developmental and grade level expectations related to content for prior experiences with which to make connections, literary language, genres, sentence complexity, themes,and so on that has been taught or is appropriate to teach in the grade level. Let the Literacy Continuum be your guide for making this decision.

Daily Lit Bit - 11/16/2016
The interpretation and use of benchmark data are more important than the scores themselves.
http://blog.fountasandpinnell.com/post/making-your-fountas-and-pinnell-benchmark-assessment-system-bas-conferences-efficient-and-informative

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link