search navigation

HomeShare Your Story

Share your story. Share your success. Be inspired by the literacy lives impacted by Fountas & Pinnell Literacy™.

New BAS Benchmark Criteria vs old LLI Messages in this topic - RSS

Jen Scarborough
Jen Scarborough

8/23/2018
Jen Scarborough
Jen Scarborough
My district just purchased the 3rd edition BAS. With the improved benchmark assessments came the new benchmark criteria without the extra point and more specific comprehension indicators-proficient, approaching proficiency, limited proficiency, and not proficient. Love it!

However, we are still using the old Green and Blue LLI kits that have the recording forms that correspond to the benchmark criteria from the old BAS. (6-7 Excellent, 5 Satisfactory, 4 Limited, and 0-3 Unsatisfactory.)

Assuming that I continue to use the old criteria to score the old LLI recording forms since they still have the extra point and don't match up to the new BAS criteria. Any recommendations on how to juggle both criteria without confusing myself?
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

8/24/2018
Jen Scarborough wrote:
My district just purchased the 3rd edition BAS. With the improved benchmark assessments came the new benchmark criteria without the extra point and more specific comprehension indicators-proficient, approaching proficiency, limited proficiency, and not proficient. Love it!

However, we are still using the old Green and Blue LLI kits that have the recording forms that correspond to the benchmark criteria from the old BAS. (6-7 Excellent, 5 Satisfactory, 4 Limited, and 0-3 Unsatisfactory.)

Assuming that I continue to use the old criteria to score the old LLI recording forms since they still have the extra point and don't match up to the new BAS criteria. Any recommendations on how to juggle both criteria without confusing myself?

Hi Jen. You will find a white paper clarifying the changes and role of reading records across the Fountas and Pinnell Literacy brand at this link: http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/resourcelibrary/id/379 I believe this is what you are looking for.
The new clarified reading forms LLI, First Edition for K–12—are provided via Online Resources access as of August 15, 2017. These forms include the comprehension scoring of Proficient, Approaching proficiency, Limited in proficiency and Not proficient as well as the 0-6 scale for LLI K-12. The more specific comprehension indicators and rubrics of the 3rd edition BAS will guide your scoring in LLI.

We wish you success in using assessment and in LLI instruction!

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link