search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Beginning! Messages in this topic - RSS

Tiffotter
Tiffotter

6 days ago
Tiffotter
Tiffotter
I just got hired as an Interventionist for K-3, handed brand new kits BAS1 and LLI Green (and we have blue if needed I believe). Where do I even begin?? I'm a veteran teacher. I am going to observe an interventionist tomorrow. I will meet with my K-3 teachers on Wednesday.
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

5 days ago
Tiffotter wrote:
I just got hired as an Interventionist for K-3, handed brand new kits BAS1 and LLI Green (and we have blue if needed I believe). Where do I even begin?? I'm a veteran teacher. I am going to observe an interventionist tomorrow. I will meet with my K-3 teachers on Wednesday.

Use the BAS and LLI Guides! If the assessment is already completed, make sure you read page 1: Keys to a Successful Intervention Design in the LLI Guide before meeting with your teachers. Continue in Section 1 and 2. Peruse Section 3 and Section 4 for guidance on teaching using the LLI lessons and use the Online Videos to further support your training. You will have lots of questions. Go back and observe the Online Resource videos (in both BAS and LLI) whenever you have a question about how a component is supposed to look. Ask as often as needed. There are no wrong questions when working with struggling readers! The Frequently Asked Questions sections in both the BAS1 and the LLI Guides are also very helpful!!!

There are many suggestions given in each section of the LLI lesson that are very helpful in guiding your instruction. This allows you to pick and choose the best / most explicit teaching needed by your group of students. All components must be completed each day. One lesson per day!

Congratulations on being hired!!! Again.... ask if you have questions.

We wish you success!
edited by Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant on 10/9/2018

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
+1 link
Tiffotter
Tiffotter

3 days ago
Tiffotter
Tiffotter
Thank you for the reply, it helped a lot. I think I have a good idea of how to get started with assessing the kids next week. Teachers in grade K-3 are giving me a list of their struggling readers.Once assessed, please tell me which LLI kit I should be using. I have green and blue. I have the green all set up and ready. I'm not understanding why I have the blue kit since the levels overlap. I've been told that even the 3rd graders I will have are very behind, probably a year or so. Please advise as to which grade levels will have the most success with each LLI system. In addition, I will have kindergarten students, I would love any suggestions for them as well. Many of them have never been to school until K.
Thanks in advance!

Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant wrote:
Tiffotter wrote:

Use the BAS and LLI Guides! If the assessment is already completed, make sure you read page 1: Keys to a Successful Intervention Design in the LLI Guide before meeting with your teachers. Continue in Section 1 and 2. Peruse Section 3 and Section 4 for guidance on teaching using the LLI lessons and use the Online Videos to further support your training. You will have lots of questions. Go back and observe the Online Resource videos (in both BAS and LLI) whenever you have a question about how a component is supposed to look. Ask as often as needed. There are no wrong questions when working with struggling readers! The Frequently Asked Questions sections in both the BAS1 and the LLI Guides are also very helpful!!!

There are many suggestions given in each section of the LLI lesson that are very helpful in guiding your instruction. This allows you to pick and choose the best / most explicit teaching needed by your group of students. All components must be completed each day. One lesson per day!

Congratulations on being hired!!! Again.... ask if you have questions.

We wish you success!
edited by Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant on 10/9/2018
0 link

3 days ago
Tiffotter wrote:
Thank you for the reply, it helped a lot. I think I have a good idea of how to get started with assessing the kids next week. Teachers in grade K-3 are giving me a list of their struggling readers.Once assessed, please tell me which LLI kit I should be using. I have green and blue. I have the green all set up and ready. I'm not understanding why I have the blue kit since the levels overlap. I've been told that even the 3rd graders I will have are very behind, probably a year or so. Please advise as to which grade levels will have the most success with each LLI system. In addition, I will have kindergarten students, I would love any suggestions for them as well. Many of them have never been to school until K.
Thanks in advance!

Although the text features and required strategic actions for processing text remain the same at a level C in the Green System or the Blue System, there is a difference. The Green System is designed for first grades using developmentally and age appropriate themes, topics and ideas. The Blue System is designed to engage and captivate second graders. If a second grader needs to be placed in a level A or B, you will need to use the Green System for those levels and then move into the Blue System for level C due to age appropriate and developmentally appropriate subjects which will help keep your readers’ interest.

The Orange System is used with Kindergarten and includes more lessons at each level. It includes 20 lessons per level with age appropriate topics. Since these readers have had less exposure to literacy, more time is required to notice teach and support processing behaviors. Fountas and Pinnell recommend that kindergarteners be assessed by the fourth month of school. You can assess early literacy behaviors prior to that time and support the lowest students with shared reading and interactive writing. Take a look at the Literacy Continuum for Kindergarten (provided with the BAS) to determine your teaching goals for developing early literacy behaviors.

I hope this helps,

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link