search navigation

HomeShare Your Story

Share your story. Share your success. Be inspired by the literacy lives impacted by Fountas & Pinnell Literacy™.

Reading Silently Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser59760
FPUser59760

15 days ago
FPUser59760
FPUser59760
How do I teach my students to read 'in their heads' instead of reading aloud to themselves?
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

15 days ago
FPUser59760 wrote:
How do I teach my students to read 'in their heads' instead of reading aloud to themselves?

How old are your students? They probably won't read 'in their heads' until inner speech has developed. Brain research shows that this may take until age 7 to fully develop. Begin by teaching them to "whisper read." You will need to model it and remind them until they do it automatically.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link
FPUser59760
FPUser59760

15 days ago
FPUser59760
FPUser59760
The students are 8 years old (in Grade 3). They were part of the LLI program in Grade 2.
0 link
FPUser59760
FPUser59760

15 days ago
FPUser59760
FPUser59760
How do you move them from whisper reading to silent reading?
0 link

15 days ago
FPUser59760 wrote:
How do you move them from whisper reading to silent reading?

3rd graders who are still reading out loud have probably developed this bad habit. You have to break the habit first by insisting on no audible reading, only whisper reading, then move to silent. They will probably still move their lips but that will need to go away too. This reading audibly needs to be untaught then the students must be taught to read silently. Teaching of this kind must be structured, monitored and students must be held accountable as with any behavior modification. I found one study that addresses this problem that may be helpful.

http://textproject.org/assets/library/papers/Hiebert-Samuels-Rasinski-2012-Comprehension-Based-Silent-Reading-Rates.pdf

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link