search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

Are fold sheets homework? Messages in this topic - RSS

ptimothy
ptimothy

7 days ago
ptimothy
ptimothy
Forgive me, I'm sure this has been discussed in the past. I have a hard time calling the fold sheet homework. I have looked in all of the manuals and our training and it states that the fold sheet is a "classroom connection" that should be completed at school and "shared" with family when they take it home. The parent letter even describes the fold sheet in a past tense wording, ie:"Today your student wrote 3 sentences on what their favorite food was. Have him/her read it back to you." Just looking for some clarity for parent questions about if it is homework or not and should it be returned to the LLI teacher, as is the case with most homework. Thank you so much.
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

7 days ago
ptimothy wrote:
Forgive me, I'm sure this has been discussed in the past. I have a hard time calling the fold sheet homework. I have looked in all of the manuals and our training and it states that the fold sheet is a "classroom connection" that should be completed at school and "shared" with family when they take it home. The parent letter even describes the fold sheet in a past tense wording, ie:"Today your student wrote 3 sentences on what their favorite food was. Have him/her read it back to you." Just looking for some clarity for parent questions about if it is homework or not and should it be returned to the LLI teacher, as is the case with most homework. Thank you so much.

The fold sheets can be used as either a classroom or an at home activity. In the LLI System Guide it states: Materials like take-home books and parent letters are included for children to gain experience and extend their learning at home.

Therefore, if there is no time in class to complete the reinforcement activity, the fold sheet should be completed at home along with rereading the book. Some teachers ask for the fold sheet to be returned to them so they can verify completion. The parent letter can be modified to reflect how you are using the fold sheet.

I hope this helps. We wish you success using LLI with your students.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link