search navigation

HomeClassroom Resources

Posts relating to Continuum, Word Study Guide, Choice Libraries, Select Collections and Genre Sets, the Leveled Book Website, or Prompting Guide

How to explain F&P levels to parents Messages in this topic - RSS

User 516694
User 516694

9/25/2012
User 516694
User 516694
I am looking for a parent friendly explanation my teachers can use with parents to explain why we have leveled our students according to Fountas and Pinnell. Parents are taking the wrong information thinking their child is reading on a 7th grade level in 2nd grade.
HELP!
0 link
Kathy Northcutt, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Kathy Northcutt, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Administrator

10/1/2012
Hello, I'm a consultant with Fountas and Pinnell. I think that your parents might understand the testing process better if you described how the books are leveled, rather than referring to the children as being "leveled." While we do get an text level for the children, we also look at the characteristics of the text in order to determine proper instructional placement for each child. If you have the Continuum for Literacy Learning, you might refer to the "Characteristics of Texts". I have actually used this process before with parents who wanted their children reading several years above grade level.
I hope this helps!
Kathy Northcutt
0 link
Mendoza0619
Mendoza0619

20 days ago
Mendoza0619
Mendoza0619
Pandora Outlet Adidas Shoes Adidas Outlet Yeezy boost Red Bottom Shoes For Women Pandora Jewelry Official Site Air Max 98 Valentino Sneakers Jordan 9 Jordan 11 Pandora Charms Air Jordan 4 NMD R1 Pandora Louboutin Shoes Pandora Jewelry Air Max 270 Red Bottoms Louboutin Jordan 11 Pandora Charms Pandora Red Bottom Shoes Pandora Outlet Kyrie Irving Shoes Adidas Yeezy Jordan Retro 11 Air Max 270 Pandora
0 link