Skip to main content
search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

Students are NOT MOVING! Messages in this topic - RSS

Xtina
Xtina

3/29/2017
Xtina
Xtina
I have first grade students that are not making progress, in fact, some have regressed. I have gone back and reread independent and instructional levels in the green box, went back to kindergarten (orange box) and pulled independent levels and went up to second grade (blue box) and pulled independent/instructional levels. I've gone through When Reader's Struggle and have done word work and strategey work with M,S,V (ad nauseam). Any ideas??? Maybe time for diagnostic testing?? I have been working with them for 23 weeks. :((
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

3/31/2017
When readers are struggling, Fountas and Pinnell suggest using the analysis form: Guide for Noting and Observing Reading Behaviors. This is found in the General Resources tab of the Online Resources. Next, take a look at the Continuum of Literacy Learning for the level of instruction: compare your observational notes (taken during instruction). What are the strengths and weaknesses of each reader? Consult with the classroom teacher. What is she/he seeing during instruction? Have your lessons followed the suggested format including all the components as designed? Has your intervention been a supplement to the classroom small group sessions? Have you established a focus and communicated that with the classroom teacher so the students are hearing the same message from both of you? Have your students had consistent attendance? Finally, you may need to do a Benchmark Assessment to determine what the students are doing on a cold read. Finally, gather together a team from your school to examine these records. Sometimes it takes 'more eyes' to see a problem and establish a new course. If you continue to work with this group.... pick a strong focus of instruction for each lesson. You might choose texts from your leveled school library with an emphasis on specific strategies and follow the LLI lesson plan. You may have to reread some of the previous texts... to make connections. Since I do not know what is holding your students back, it is very hard to give a specific direction.
I hope some of these suggestions will help reveal next steps.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link