search navigation

HomeFountas & Pinnell Classroom

Lift students' learning beyond the walls of the classroom with texts and a blueprint for teaching that create authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting to realize what it truly means to live a literate life.

Text Sets: Connections Between Shared and IRA Messages in this topic - RSS

artinker
artinker

10/18/2017
artinker
artinker
Can anyone tell me, when it mentions text sets... is that only a text set of Interactive Read Aloud Books or does it also include Shared Reading Titles as well? In other words, are the IRA and Shared Reading connected when following the suggested scope and sequence?
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

10/18/2017
artinker wrote:
Can anyone tell me, when it mentions text sets... is that only a text set of Interactive Read Aloud Books or does it also include Shared Reading Titles as well? In other words, are the IRA and Shared Reading connected when following the suggested scope and sequence?

I assume the "it mentions" comes from your FP Classroom System Guide that describes how the IRA and Shared Reading sets are organized. Each component has a separate set of texts. For example, the IRA collection of texts for first grade is organized into 25 texts sets. These sets make it easier for children to notice connections among the texts being read. These titles are not original books developed by FP, but were selected for specific collections. The Shared Reading set for first grade includes 65 different original titles. The goals for each lesson component may or may not be in alignment on a given day within a specific time period, yet there may be opportunities for those connections to occur. Many of those decisions were left to the responsive teachers using the materials in the classrooms. The specific goals cannot be planned by those outside of the classroom if the goals are responding to the assessed needs of the students, thus the statements that teachers may wish to reorder the sequence for teaching based on the students' needs and interests. Another reason the scope and sequence is 'suggested' rather than 'dictated' for each component.

I hope this helps to clarify the different text sets. Best wishes for success!

Debbie
+1 link