search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Do Numbers Count as Words Messages in this topic - RSS

lkzwettler
lkzwettler

1/25/2018
lkzwettler
lkzwettler
Hello - In one of the Benchmark Assessment books, The Train at the Top of the World, there are several numbers. Does each number count as one word? I assume each number is one word and if they misread the number it counts as one error, is that correct?
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

1/25/2018
lkzwettler wrote:
Hello - In one of the Benchmark Assessment books, The Train at the Top of the World, there are several numbers. Does each number count as one word? I assume each number is one word and if they misread the number it counts as one error, is that correct?

Yes, each is counted as one word and considered an error if misread. You can always check by counting the words on the Reading Record to compare with the RW (running words) total in the shaded area at the top of the recording section next to the title and level.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
+1 link
Cyk007
Cyk007

10 days ago
Cyk007
Cyk007
Could you share why numbers (digits, ie: 16,000) is counted as a word? Is it because it's in the word count or is it related to the reading/meaning? We used to use the DRA and numbers, I believe, were not counted as errors but could be teaching points to take note of. Thank you!
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

7 days ago
Cyk007 wrote:
Could you share why numbers (digits, ie: 16,000) is counted as a word? Is it because it's in the word count or is it related to the reading/meaning? We used to use the DRA and numbers, I believe, were not counted as errors but could be teaching points to take note of. Thank you!

A simple rule for using numbers in writing is that small numbers ranging from one to ten (or one to nine, depending on the style guide) should generally be spelled out. Larger numbers (i.e., above ten) are more often written as numerals. Therefore, as you suggest, they are included in the word count due both to meaning as well as expected academic knowledge of the reader at that level.

Best wishes,
Helenann

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link