search navigation

HomeFountas & Pinnell Classroom

Lift students' learning beyond the walls of the classroom with texts and a blueprint for teaching that create authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting to realize what it truly means to live a literate life.

Student Led Learning Messages in this topic - RSS

matt.lehman
matt.lehman

3/30/2018
matt.lehman
matt.lehman
Hi All!

New here. I'm being observed this week formally... and one of the complaints LAST time was that my instruction wasn't student-led. I'm struggling with this concept because I'm using LLI. Does anyone have any idea on how this can be a more student-led program? I'm sure it wasn't designed this way, but I'd like to have any ideas that anyone has. Thank you, in advance!
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

3/30/2018
matt.lehman wrote:
Hi All!

New here. I'm being observed this week formally... and one of the complaints LAST time was that my instruction wasn't student-led. I'm struggling with this concept because I'm using LLI. Does anyone have any idea on how this can be a more student-led program? I'm sure it wasn't designed this way, but I'd like to have any ideas that anyone has. Thank you, in advance!

One thing you may provide for your evaluator is the Administrator's Fidelity Tool found in your Online Resources. It provides guidelines of what to look for in the lesson and implementation of LLI. There is one for Primary and for Intermediate lessons. You can also use the Teacher Reflection Tool to reflect on your own teaching. As you allude to in your comments, this is a responsive teaching model so it is always responding to the students' lead. Perhaps you can get clarification as to what this means to the administrator observing you.
Make sure you have listed the goals for each student in the group based on your previous observations, use the language of the Lit Continuum (goals on 1st page and what to assess on last page for the lesson and at the end of each level of the lesson section in the Lesson Guide) that shows you are differentiating instruction. (not long and elaborate but brief note of what you are noticing, looking for, supporting, ..)
Look in the Prompting Guide for language that prompts the students rather than the "usual questions." Note these and where you find them to share with the administrator during your follow-up visit if necessary.
Hope this provides some help. If you get clarification please let us know what that means on your evaluation form!
Best wishes,
Debbie
0 link