search navigation

HomeFountas & Pinnell Classroom

Lift students' learning beyond the walls of the classroom with texts and a blueprint for teaching that create authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting to realize what it truly means to live a literate life.

Lesson Preparation Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser87271
FPUser87271

10/25/2018
FPUser87271
FPUser87271
What is the average time it takes to gather materials and prepare to teach a lesson to an LLI group? I will have groups at 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th grade. Is there a difference in prep time for the different levels.
edited by FPUser87271 on 10/25/2018
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

10/25/2018
FPUser87271 wrote:
What is the average time it takes to gather materials and prepare to teach a lesson to an LLI group? I will have groups at 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th grade. Is there a difference in prep time for the different levels.
edited by FPUser87271 on 10/25/2018

I found that it took me about the same amount of time for both primary and intermediate lessons.... almost 20 minutes per group at first. The amount of time varies however on the lesson content and the group’s needs. Some groups are just needier or more puzzling. Amount of planning time required decreases from first beginning to use the systems (because you have to read each book as well) to after you are more acquainted with the books and the lesson components. My time after more experience cut down significantly. The second time of planning the same lesson is also usually easier and faster because you have gathered and saved some of the materials for that lesson and you know a bit more about what to expect.

The critical part of doing the lessons is being super prepared, super organized and after the lesson, analyzing all reading records so you know what to explicitly teach next in order to get the expected growth. (I always suggest teachers with multiple groups stagger their lessons. In your case you might do the Even Numbered Lessons with your 1st, 3rd and 6th grade group on the same day you do your Odd Numbered Lessons with your 2nd and 4th grade group. Then you do not have all the reading records to analyze at the same time. The components include multiple teaching points based on potential needs of many students. You have to decide the most important points to be made for each group. The more you know your groups, the easier it will be to choose which teaching points are needed. No component should be left out.

I hope this helps,

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link