search navigation

HomeFountas & Pinnell Classroom

Lift students' learning beyond the walls of the classroom with texts and a blueprint for teaching that create authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting to realize what it truly means to live a literate life.

PWS Grade 2: Online Resources for "Apply" section Messages in this topic - RSS

ElizaSa
ElizaSa

11/1/2018
ElizaSa
ElizaSa
Hi,
My district has provided us with the F&P PWS kits. I'm trying to get started with teaching, but am overwhelmed with the amount of work behind it. The first two lessons for Grade 2 (LSR 1-2) require me to print out games cards for small groups (6 sets of 42 words for LSR 1) and for partner work (11 sets of 24 cards for LSR2). The amount of time required to cut all the sets adds up, especially if I'm supposed to teach a lesson every 2-3 days. What suggestions do you have for managing all the prep?
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

11/1/2018
ElizaSa wrote:
Hi,
My district has provided us with the F&P PWS kits. I'm trying to get started with teaching, but am overwhelmed with the amount of work behind it. The first two lessons for Grade 2 (LSR 1-2) require me to print out games cards for small groups (6 sets of 42 words for LSR 1) and for partner work (11 sets of 24 cards for LSR2). The amount of time required to cut all the sets adds up, especially if I'm supposed to teach a lesson every 2-3 days. What suggestions do you have for managing all the prep?

Perhaps you might use the document and video: Unpacking Phonics, Spelling, and Word Study System located in the General tab of the Online Resources. The first time of prep work is always the most challenging and takes the longest. Many of the materials you prep now can be reused later.

i hope the information included in the Online Resources helps.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link
ElizaSa
ElizaSa

11/2/2018
ElizaSa
ElizaSa
I've already unpacked my kit and reviewed that online resource.

In order to teach 2nd grade PWS, I need to print resources for each lesson -- multiple copies of game cards, etc. Basically, I will need to prep for about an hour for most lessons. I was originally planning to teach 2-3 lessons a week which would result in 2-3 hours of prep just for Word Study. This isn't manageable considering I teach many other subjects that require prep also.

How does F&P suggest making this work?
0 link

11/4/2018
ElizaSa wrote:
I've already unpacked my kit and reviewed that online resource.

In order to teach 2nd grade PWS, I need to print resources for each lesson -- multiple copies of game cards, etc. Basically, I will need to prep for about an hour for most lessons. I was originally planning to teach 2-3 lessons a week which would result in 2-3 hours of prep just for Word Study. This isn't manageable considering I teach many other subjects that require prep also.

How does F&P suggest making this work?

Probably your best resource is advice from other teachers if you have already looked at the Online Getting Started resource suggestions. Here are some comments we have heard from teachers....

Yes, there is a LOT of prep work but the kids get so involved in the activities that they don’t even know it’s time for recess. Kids are becoming more confident with spelling because they are already making BIG connections!

My first grade team had a lot of success with the program and our 2nd grade teachers reported they noticed less, if no, summer slide from our students. Prep work might be more this year, but next year many of the word cards and pictures will already be prepped. Also, I used my smart board for many of the lessons then shared them with my colleagues to use so we had minimal prep.

Another teacher stated, after cutting, folding and taping cubes together for an hour (one lesson) she ordered foam dry erase dice!

Generally we suggest that you divide and conquer. If you have a grade level team working together, divide up the lessons and print copies needed for all the classrooms and make the materials needed for a classroom set. Or how about having some parents or older students helping to cut, paste, etc.?

I know it is always hard starting something new especially something as comprehensive as this Phonics and Word Study.
And yes, at the end of the day, the first year it will take more to get more.

Hope you see great success with your students.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link