search navigation

HomeClassroom Resources

Posts relating to Continuum, Word Study Guide, Choice Libraries, Select Collections and Genre Sets, the Leveled Book Website, or Prompting Guide

Third Grade Collection Set Messages in this topic - RSS

Lmoor020
Lmoor020

12/9/2018
Lmoor020
Lmoor020
I currently use RAZ-KIDS for guided reading. I recently received a grant for guided reading books ($1400). I want to spend the grant money on the best guided reading books possible. Most of my students range from a 2nd to 3rd grade level in reading. I want to purchase one third grade collection set with some of the grant money and use the rest to purchase lower level books with another company because I can't afford two collection sets with my grant money. My question is do I need other F&P components in order to be successful with one F&P collection set? Do you recommend another purchase instead?
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

12/10/2018
Lmoor020 wrote:
I currently use RAZ-KIDS for guided reading. I recently received a grant for guided reading books ($1400). I want to spend the grant money on the best guided reading books possible. Most of my students range from a 2nd to 3rd grade level in reading. I want to purchase one third grade collection set with some of the grant money and use the rest to purchase lower level books with another company because I can't afford two collection sets with my grant money. My question is do I need other F&P components in order to be successful with one F&P collection set? Do you recommend another purchase instead?

Hi! Congratulations on obtaining a grant! That is awesome! I understand that you want to spend that money wisely. I would suggest that you contact your local representative to review your needs and to see the product you are interested in. You can find your representative here: https://www.heinemann.com/distributors.aspx

The Third Grade Collection Set was designed to be used for guided reading to strengthen and support strategic action reading behaviors and would span gradient text levels from L to Q, which sounds like it might be some of the levels you are interested in. There is no other purchase required with this set and would allow you to increase the texts you currently have available to use for guided reading. There are two collections available so you will need to examine the titles and determine which set best fits your needs. The books include PM Readers that have been hand-selected, leveled and organized by Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell. Each collection offers high-quality, high-interest books in a range of genres and topics. Again, your local representative might have samples of the books if you are not familiar with these titles.

I hope this helps! We wish you success,

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link