search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

Reading The Entire Text Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser106052
FPUser106052

12/11/2018
FPUser106052
FPUser106052
I have struggled with having my students read the entire text before discussing it. Their accuracy and fluency are good, but their comprehension is limited. When we wait until we have read the entire text before talking about it, I find they have missed so much. When I break the book up into sections and we talk about it, I am more confident that they are understanding, however it then takes us much longer than recommended to get through a book - sometimes two or three days. Am I "over controlling"? Should I continue to break up the book, or is it better to have read the entire book before talking about it.
Thanks.
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

12/11/2018
FPUser106052 wrote:
I have struggled with having my students read the entire text before discussing it. Their accuracy and fluency are good, but their comprehension is limited. When we wait until we have read the entire text before talking about it, I find they have missed so much. When I break the book up into sections and we talk about it, I am more confident that they are understanding, however it then takes us much longer than recommended to get through a book - sometimes two or three days. Am I "over controlling"? Should I continue to break up the book, or is it better to have read the entire book before talking about it.
Thanks.

I like the way you are focusing on strategic action behaviors for gaining meaning from text!
In the Frequently Asked Questions of the LLI System Guide, Fountas and Pinnell give the following response: If students are finding the new text too difficult, should I read it to them first?
No. If the text is so difficult that you need to read it to the students (or provide a very long introduction), then it is probably too hard. They need to experience proficient processing of new text that allows them to build their reading power. Move to an easier level.

I know you are not reading the text to them, however this response indicates that we should be providing minimum support if our students are placed appropriately. If you are doing Guided Reading or LLI, breaking up the text to gain understanding my indicate that the text is too hard. Below I will provide some thoughts on supporting comprehension with your readers, if you believe your students are appropriately placed.

Please consider that your students are each reading independently. This allows you to listen in to parts of the text as they each read one small part aloud to you with a quiet voice while others are continuing on their own independent of you. As you listen to a child, you can make a teaching point. This point could be a QUICK comprehension point (pertaining to that section of the text) then move on to the next child as they read the text. (Fountas and Pinnell discourage any lengthy discussions during the reading of the text as it interrupts the flow. They believe struggling readers need to experience a whole text or at least whole chapters rather than breaking a text into parts on a first read. This is why they encourage reading of whole books or later.... whole chapters of books.)

With some interaction occurring with each child during the reading (at different parts) of the text... you can then invite each child to ‘be an authority on that part’ and add to the group discussion at the end. There is a great example of this in the Online Resources: Red System LLI videos of the Odd Numbered Lesson if you have access.

A possible mini lesson: on a previously read book, might include a strong demonstration / modeling showing how you think about text as you read...how you make meaning.... how you make connections to your own experiences or make connections with other texts you have read. And.. how the author craft impacted the message of the text. We want children to learn to process text independently with a minimum of guidance. Using a mini lesson with a previously read text allows the students to focus on the how rather than the what since they already ‘know’ the message. You are demonstrating how the parts contribute to the big idea.

Consider the goal for reading. If they are trying to remember every detail, in order to give a play by play of the text following their reading, their focus is off. Your children may need reminding that reading is about getting the message/meaning of the text. It is not about just reading the words correctly or reading for details or about getting the reading finished. It is about enjoyment, making meaning and getting the big idea.

You might examine your introduction as well. What are your teaching points? What are you drawing their attention to? Are you focusing on the big idea/ideas of the text? Make sure you use the discussion points of the lesson (or the listed behaviors from the Literacy Continuum at that level) to guide your discussions for thinking beyond and about the text.

Your goal is to have a deeper richer discussion based on the input of each student at the end of the book rather than stopping at sections.

We wish you and your students successful reading processing!

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link
ms. g loves to read
ms. g loves to read

26 days ago
Now I am confused. I am working with Purple Level T. The schedule for a 45 min Lesson Framework seems to give reading only 20 to 25 minutes over the 2 day lesson. I don't think my students can read the whole #83 two-way book in that time alloted. I work with 7th and 8th graders whose fluency and vocabulary approaches their peersm byt their Reading Comprehension is low.
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

26 days ago
ms.g loves to read wrote:
Now I am confused. I am working with Purple Level T. The schedule for a 45 min Lesson Framework seems to give reading only 20 to 25 minutes over the 2 day lesson. I don't think my students can read the whole #83 two-way book in that time alloted. I work with 7th and 8th graders whose fluency and vocabulary approaches their peersm byt their Reading Comprehension is low.

These are teaching decisions that you must analyze. Analyze your teaching in the lessons using the Teacher Lesson Reflection tool to see why your lessons might take too long. Analyze the students reading using the Guide for Observing and Noting Reading Behaviors. Note in your Lesson Records how the students respond to the prompting language you are using, how you might need to change the language to be more concise. If students are reading with appropriate fluency and not too much challenge in solving vocabulary or words in the text they should be able to read within the allotted time. (see the Oral Reading Rates for Level T) It could be that you are trying to teach too much. Look at the students records to focus on the Literacy Continuum goals they need next. Focus on those then move to another. You have to choose your goals and teach for them rather than attempt to follow the lesson guide suggestions in some instances. Make sure you are teaching for the strategic actions not just items of knowledge.
The blogs found at the following links may help guide your analysis.
https://fpblog.fountasandpinnell.com/what-is-responsive-teaching
https://fpblog.fountasandpinnell.com/what-are-the-systems-of-strategic-actions
https://fpblog.fountasandpinnell.com/teacher-tip-how-to-use-the-literacy-continuum-with-leveled-literacy-intervention

If you have access to any of Fountas and Pinnell's professional books there may be sections that can help provide suggestions. The Community tab /EXTEND/Resource Library may have some articles, webinars or information that can help.

This is a hard question to answer without actually observing the students. Perhaps a colleague can observe and help you. Students may have to finish some reading during their independent reading time.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link