search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

When are students ready to move to another level? Messages in this topic - RSS

Southwest Michigan
Southwest Michigan

12/14/2018
We are having an ongoing discussion about when children are ready to move into the "next level."

Some colleagues feel in order for a student to move to the next level their running records must be at the independent level in the accuracy area and in comprehension too.

They also feel that if we move children too fast along in the levels-----because they may score higher on the running record due to the fact that we have read the story more than once they feel when we have them take the winter benchmark they will actually show a lower level because it is a cold read.

I hope I was able to make that clear enough. I guess the bottom line is we have staff that feel like the scores are not a true picture of what the student's ability is.
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

12/14/2018
Southwest Michigan wrote:
We are having an ongoing discussion about when children are ready to move into the "next level."

Some colleagues feel in order for a student to move to the next level their running records must be at the independent level in the accuracy area and in comprehension too.

They also feel that if we move children too fast along in the levels-----because they may score higher on the running record due to the fact that we have read the story more than once they feel when we have them take the winter benchmark they will actually show a lower level because it is a cold read.

I hope I was able to make that clear enough. I guess the bottom line is we have staff that feel like the scores are not a true picture of what the student's ability is.

Here is an excerpt from the LLI System Guide FAQ’s: Do you recommend administering a benchmark assessment before moving to the next reading level?
“No. That would be too much assessment. If you are observing and taking reading records once every eight days on each student, then you will have a very good idea of how the student is performing at the present level. If they are reading at an instructional level on the first reading and at solid instructional level or independent level on the second reading, then they are probably ready to go on to the next level. Look at The Continuum of Literacy Learning for the present level to be sure that you are seeing evidence of the needed behaviors and understandings for thinking within, beyond, and about the text.“

In addition, regarding the differences between warm and cold reading records, please refer to The role of Recording Forms across the Fountas & Pinnell LiteracyTM brand: A message from literacy leaders, Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell, linked here:
http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/resourcelibrary/id/379

The reading record scores on the LLI ‘continuous’ warm read assessment should be equivalent to the student performance on the ‘interval’ cold reading record of the BAS. However, if too much support is needed during LLI lessons, i.e. if placement is too high and too much support is required, an incongruence might be seen. If mismatches between the BAS and LLI levels are occurring, more work needs to be done before moving to the next level or the weaker behaviors need to be explicitly addressed at the next level. This involves continuous analysis and observation on a daily and weekly basis.

During guided reading or LLI, the best way to check on whether students are using appropriate behaviors to process text at a level is to analyze the behaviors used and compare them to the 1) the lesson goals at the beginning of each lesson 2) the section on Assessing Reading and Writing Behaviors at the end of each lesson and 3) the Literacy Continuum located at the end of each level in the LLI lesson guide.

I hope this helps.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link