search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

Decoding Strategy Question Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser106052
FPUser106052

1/3/2019
FPUser106052
FPUser106052
Hi Everyone,

I am a Literacy Coach, and one of my BSI teachers has a student in LLI who has always had severe difficulties decoding and accuracy scores were always below 95%. She would sound out sight words, etc, but was extremely strong at self-correcting and monitoring for meaning. The student is a fifth grader.

Recently, she began using a strategy where she would sound out the word in her head, reread the phrase in her head, and then finally read out loud. The teacher reports that her accuracy is higher than it has ever been, but her comprehension is now suffering.

I feel that she is most definitely utilizing too much of her working memory on accuracy and decoding words and now is unable to monitor for meaning. Any cases like this that you have seen? What strategies can I offer in order to best meet the needs of this student?
Thanks.
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

1/5/2019
FPUser106052 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am a Literacy Coach, and one of my BSI teachers has a student in LLI who has always had severe difficulties decoding and accuracy scores were always below 95%. She would sound out sight words, etc, but was extremely strong at self-correcting and monitoring for meaning. The student is a fifth grader.

Recently, she began using a strategy where she would sound out the word in her head, reread the phrase in her head, and then finally read out loud. The teacher reports that her accuracy is higher than it has ever been, but her comprehension is now suffering.

I feel that she is most definitely utilizing too much of her working memory on accuracy and decoding words and now is unable to monitor for meaning. Any cases like this that you have seen? What strategies can I offer in order to best meet the needs of this student?
Thanks.

These are complex issues and will depend a great deal on teacher decision making. If a student can read and understand the texts at a level (meeting the criteria for instructional level), then usually they have phonics skills. It would be a good idea to look at The Continuum of Literacy Learning and at the phonics and word study activities for the student’s instructional level and perhaps the previous level or levels. You might also use The Word Features Assessments, an Optional Assessment of the Benchmark Assessment System to determine the specific phonetic gaps.

Section 5 of the Benchmark Assessment Guide includes several case studies based on assessment results and provides the instructional decisions that were made to address the student needs. In Section 3 there are suggestions to help determine the Recommended Placement Level and guidance for Looking Beyond the Numbers (scores of the assessment) to help determine the best place to begin instruction.

Although this student has figured out a way to problem solve the words, it has become a labored exercise and she seems to be missing the reason we read, i.e. to get the message of the text. It may be necessary to drop back to a level where everything: accuracy, fluency and comprehension come together with only a bit of support required. Based on the particular student’s needs, the teacher will need to provide explicit instruction and demonstration which focuses on gaining meaning while filling in processing gaps. Lots of easy/independent level reading, along with some discussion, will help build the fluency and comprehension as well.

We wish you success as you work with this student.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link