search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

Symbol Imagery Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser33369
FPUser33369

12 days ago
FPUser33369
FPUser33369
What are your thoughts on symbol imagery? Is it addressed in LLI?
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

12 days ago
FPUser33369 wrote:
What are your thoughts on symbol imagery? Is it addressed in LLI?

I am not sure which definition of symbol imagery you are referring to but will assume it is related to that found in the Lindamood Bell program. That program was developed for specific children with severe disorders for whom it may be helpful.

In LLI it is not one of the routines or procedures used because most of the students do not need that. Often those techniques can actually take away from the task of letter recognition or cause confusion because you are adding one more step in remembering the symbol association. In LLI letter recognition is taught using multi sensory routines with magnetic letters, letter cards, letter books, tracing with the finger, looking for the distinguishing features, talking about those distinguishing features (articulating with words), noticing patterns in how words look and sound in various ways. Most of these procedures and routines are described in When Readers Struggle.

If a teacher knows a particular method that could help a particular child it would be responsive teaching to do whatever it takes. As Fountas and Pinnell have written "Individuals are taught, not programs." This is why LLI is NOT a program but a system, a way of teaching that responds to the individuals based on the observations of processing while students engage in reading and writing texts.

If I have not responded to the correct interpretation or definition please let me know and I will try again.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link