search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

he Labeling of F&P KitsL Messages in this topic - RSS

Southwest Michigan
Southwest Michigan

1/12/2019
This is our first year implementing the LLI across our district. I noticed something while rechecking our student benchmark assessment folder----I'd like to make you aware of it and see if this has happened to anyone else and to get your reasoning behind not labeling the first kit differently.

The Benchmark Assessment System Kits are labeled

Grades K-2 A-K
Grades 3-5 L-Z

BUT

kit #1 has Levels L-M-N in it.

With that being said when our staff was testing in the fall knowing kit #1 said A-K when they came to K in the kit and they needed to go up to level L they automatically jumped to kit #2 because it said L-Z. They didn't confer with me about continuing on with L-M or N in the first kit. I noticed this occurred several times.

Now in hindsight I've clarified with staff that if a K-2 child needs to be assessed beyond K, to stay in the first kit up through N and to not hop to the kit #2. I've also relayed to staff that the content will be more age appropriate than that within the 3-5 kit even though the levels are the same.
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

1/14/2019
Southwest Michigan wrote:
This is our first year implementing the LLI across our district. I noticed something while rechecking our student benchmark assessment folder----I'd like to make you aware of it and see if this has happened to anyone else and to get your reasoning behind not labeling the first kit differently.

The Benchmark Assessment System Kits are labeled

Grades K-2 A-K
Grades 3-5 L-Z

BUT

kit #1 has Levels L-M-N in it.

With that being said when our staff was testing in the fall knowing kit #1 said A-K when they came to K in the kit and they needed to go up to level L they automatically jumped to kit #2 because it said L-Z. They didn't confer with me about continuing on with L-M or N in the first kit. I noticed this occurred several times.

Now in hindsight I've clarified with staff that if a K-2 child needs to be assessed beyond K, to stay in the first kit up through N and to not hop to the kit #2. I've also relayed to staff that the content will be more age appropriate than that within the 3-5 kit even though the levels are the same.

Thank you. the levels do overlap between systems 1 and 2 because sometimes there are students in K-2 reading above the expected text levels and sometimes there are students in 3+ reading below expected levels. As described on p. 2 of each Assessment Guide the books within a level are equivalent standard measures; fiction or nonfiction, and whether in system 1 or 2 falls in this category as well. Also note the description of leveled texts on the first page of Appendix A, (p. 144 BAS 1 3e). The texts are placed in levels based on the characteristics that represent expected behaviors for that level.

You are correct that one of the characteristics in leveling texts is content load and in selecting texts for instruction that is to be considered with the developmental ages of students in the group. For assessment that should not be a factor since these texts are used for assessing behaviors at that level, not for instruction. You must consider this in your analysis as described in Section 2 (p. 44-49).

The overlap was intentionally included for schools that do not need both systems, (primary schools that only have grades K-2 or Intermediate schools that only have grades 3+).

Thank you for using the Benchmark Assessment Systems with fidelity.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link