search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

Justification with data Messages in this topic - RSS

Karenvt
Karenvt

2/20/2019
Karenvt
Karenvt
I am seeking help from our LLI Community.

Recently a group of 4th graders finished a round of LLI. When the classroom teachers tested them no progress was noted. This was also the result in 3rd grade. The feeling among many teachers now is that LLI is not effective in grades 4 up.they said there is no data to prove it works. I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater and look for another program.. can you direct me to the data that shows the effectiveness of the Red Series generally and with 4th graders in particular.

Thanks!
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

2/20/2019
Karenvt wrote:
I am seeking help from our LLI Community.

Recently a group of 4th graders finished a round of LLI. When the classroom teachers tested them no progress was noted. This was also the result in 3rd grade. The feeling among many teachers now is that LLI is not effective in grades 4 up.they said there is no data to prove it works. I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater and look for another program.. can you direct me to the data that shows the effectiveness of the Red Series generally and with 4th graders in particular.

Thanks!

Congratulations on your determination not to give up. I am sure you are seeing progress. In response to your request, here is a link to the Efficacy Studies for grades 3-5: https://www.fountasandpinnell.com/research/

In addition, here are some things to consider as you analyze why teachers might see a discrepancy in student processing in LLI versus processing on the BAS.

I would ask to look at the assessments to analyze what your readers are doing in a cold read and compare the strategies used with the strategies they are using in LLI.

Perhaps consider whether too much support is being given in LLI lessons. Use the Teacher Reflection tools for lessons to see if the level of support is shifting enough so the students are moving up in levels more independently. The Prompting Guides demonstrate how the support should shift. First the teacher demonstrates a new behavior, then prompts, then reinforces as the child takes control of the behavior(s).

During reading there should be opportunities to see the child's level of control taking over, not too much teaching but instruction moving towards prompting and reinforcing as the lessons within a level progress. Use the Guide for Observing and Noting Behaviors in conjunction with the Literacy Continuum at the instructional level to analyze the child/children and where the teaching may need to be.

The goals listed at the beginning of each lesson provide a good tool to use when prompting for and checking on appropriate processing behaviors for that level. At the end of each lesson there is a section: Assessing Reading and Writing Behaviors that lists specific reading and writing behaviors at that level to notice as you observe student behaviors. (Some may not be applicable, depending upon which option you chose for revisiting the text.)

A key to recording observations during the lesson is to make a note any time you have to intervene with a student to support an appropriate processing behavior. Analyzing those ‘teaching moments’ (compared to expected strategic actions listed in the Literacy Continuum) allows you to determine if the student is gaining appropriate level behaviors or if you are still supporting behaviors at earlier levels.

The Literacy Continuum is always a good check to help determine if students are processing text using appropriate strategic action behaviors before moving to the next level.

We wish you success as you continue to implement LLI with your readers.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link