search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

GRL vs F&P Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser110509
FPUser110509

2/20/2019
FPUser110509
FPUser110509
Hi all,
Trying to find out the difference between GRL and F&P leveling--some of my more experienced colleagues swear they're two different systems, and administered by separate groups, but all the information I can find seems to imply GRL is just what some publishers call F&P levels. Does anyone know where/what the differences are? Or have any articles I can read that might be more helpful than the first few Google results?
Thanks!
edited by FPUser110509 on 2/20/2019
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

2/21/2019
FPUser110509 wrote:
Hi all,
Trying to find out the difference between GRL and F&P leveling--some of my more experienced colleagues swear they're two different systems, and administered by separate groups, but all the information I can find seems to imply GRL is just what some publishers call F&P levels. Does anyone know where/what the differences are? Or have any articles I can read that might be more helpful than the first few Google results?
Thanks!
edited by FPUser110509 on 2/20/2019

There are many systems and formulas used for measuring the reading level of a book. Since 1920 there have been various ‘readability measures’ developed and used to attempt to determine text levels. Many of these attempts used mathematical calculations... length of words, length of sentences, etc.

In Chapter 13 of Guided Reading, Responsive Teaching Across the Grades Fountas and Pinnell state, “We analyze text complexity by considering ten characteristics, all of which represent the supports and challenges that face the reader. Looking across all of these factors, you can determine the level of a text along the gradient, remembering that in any one text, several factors are usually combined to raise the challenge level.”

The best resource for determining text levels is the Fountas and Pinnell Literacy Continuum.

Here are links to articles that might also support your understanding of the F&P Text Gradient Levels and how to use them appropriately:
The F&P Text Level GradientTM Revision to Recommended Grade-Level Goals: http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/resourcelibrary/id/278
LEVEL BOOKS, NOT CHILDREN - The role of text levels in literacy instruction BY IRENE C. FOUNTAS AND GAY SU PINNELL
http://www.fountasandpinnell.com/resourcelibrary/id/440

Fountas and Pinnell state, “Levels are a powerful tool when used appropriately. Our F&P Text Level GradientTM, for example, allows for smart choices in guided reading lessons. A “level” stands for hundreds—even thousands—of in-the-head strategic actions that readers need at any given time to read with accuracy, fluency, and understanding.”

You may see published Level Correlation Charts asserting that the levels have been correlated to the F&P levels. Currently, this is only the opinions of those publishers/authors. F&P have not, as of this writing, verified these correlations.

I hope this is helpful.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link
FPUser110509
FPUser110509

2/21/2019
FPUser110509
FPUser110509
Thanks Helenann, that's helpful for convincing my coworkers to use F&P over other systems.

However, it doesn't really answer my question--mainly, what is the difference between the GRL (Guided Reading Level) system and F&P (Fountas & Pinnell)? The charts seem to be nearly identical, the books we've found with both show the same levels, etc.

One colleague says that the difference is in who publishes the levels for each one, but she only has anecdotal sources. Does anyone have a definitive answer, preferably backed up by primary sources?
0 link

2/21/2019
FPUser110509 wrote:
Thanks Helenann, that's helpful for convincing my coworkers to use F&P over other systems.

However, it doesn't really answer my question--mainly, what is the difference between the GRL (Guided Reading Level) system and F&P (Fountas & Pinnell)? The charts seem to be nearly identical, the books we've found with both show the same levels, etc.

One colleague says that the difference is in who publishes the levels for each one, but she only has anecdotal sources. Does anyone have a definitive answer, preferably backed up by primary sources?

I thought you were asking the question in general, i.e. comparing all other publishers’ reading level charts to the F&P gradient text levels. lf you are specifically referring to a particular GRL (Guided Reading Level) System it appears that I need more information. Can you explain further?

--
0 link
FPUser110509
FPUser110509

2/22/2019
FPUser110509
FPUser110509
Unfortunately, I don't have much other information to add--that's partially what I was hoping to get from the forum. Here's a conversion chart that shows it in relation to DRA and Lexile: https://shop.scholastic.com/teachers-ecommerce/admin/guided-reading-leveling-chart.html

To me, it appears to be the same as F&P and is just called something else by the publishers who put it on their books (mostly Scholastic and Harper, in our library) but some colleagues swear it's different. The coworker I mentioned previously agrees that it's very similar, but she says the difference is that F&P levels are based on official reviews of the books by Fountas & Pinnell, whereas GRL levels are assigned by private consultants only. Again, though, she's basing this on stories from people she's met at conferences and says she's not 100% certain that it's accurate.

If you can even just confirm how F&P levels are assigned that would be helpful. With that information, I might be able to narrow down some specific research questions.
0 link

2/23/2019
FPUser110509 wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't have much other information to add--that's partially what I was hoping to get from the forum. Here's a conversion chart that shows it in relation to DRA and Lexile: https://shop.scholastic.com/teachers-ecommerce/admin/guided-reading-leveling-chart.html

To me, it appears to be the same as F&P and is just called something else by the publishers who put it on their books (mostly Scholastic and Harper, in our library) but some colleagues swear it's different. The coworker I mentioned previously agrees that it's very similar, but she says the difference is that F&P levels are based on official reviews of the books by Fountas & Pinnell, whereas GRL levels are assigned by private consultants only. Again, though, she's basing this on stories from people she's met at conferences and says she's not 100% certain that it's accurate.

If you can even just confirm how F&P levels are assigned that would be helpful. With that information, I might be able to narrow down some specific research questions.

The Fountas & Pinnell Leveled Books Website is the only official online source for titles leveled according to the F&P Text Level Gradient™. The F&P Leveled Books Website is linked here: https://www.heinemann.com/products/lbw002119.aspx?utm_source=fountasandpinnell.com#fulldesc

The following are statements made regarding reported levels on their subscription based Website: ‘With over 50,000 titles and growing, each title has been analyzed, meticulously reviewed and precisely leveled by Fountas and Pinnell and their team of hand-selected expert levelers. This frequently updated, subscription-based, on-line list contains books submitted by more than 300 publishers.’

Therefore, books listed on the F&P Leveled Books Website (from a variety of publishers) and books sold under the F&P Literacy Brand have been officially leveled. Levels are provided as a resource to help determine (when referencing the Literacy Continuum) the strategic actions required for processing text at that level.

Texts sold by other publishers may list levels from the F&P Leveled Books Website or may designate levels determined by their own teams.

I hope this helps answer your question.

--
0 link