search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Using the BAS Assessment with gifted students Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser96086
FPUser96086

3/16/2019
FPUser96086
FPUser96086
I am an instructional coach at an elementary school. I have often heard from our teachers of the gifted students in 4th and 5th grade that the baseline assessment system does not give them enough information to identify the reading needs of these students. My district has teachers give the assessment both as a student measure of growth and as a teaching tool for future lessons. The teachers of these gifted students feel the assessment does not inform their teaching at all and feel it is not a good use of their teaching time because it takes too long and doesn't give them enough information. Can you give me some advice on how to respond to these teachers as well as places in the benchmark system that could provide more information about this topic?
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

3/18/2019
FPUser96086 wrote:
I am an instructional coach at an elementary school. I have often heard from our teachers of the gifted students in 4th and 5th grade that the baseline assessment system does not give them enough information to identify the reading needs of these students. My district has teachers give the assessment both as a student measure of growth and as a teaching tool for future lessons. The teachers of these gifted students feel the assessment does not inform their teaching at all and feel it is not a good use of their teaching time because it takes too long and doesn't give them enough information. Can you give me some advice on how to respond to these teachers as well as places in the benchmark system that could provide more information about this topic?

The teachers probably do not understand the reading process for which these assessments are designed. There are webinars and other professional learning opportunities on the website to build this understanding of responsive teaching for strategic processing using the Literacy Continuum with all students in all of the literacy contexts for instruction. The Literacy Continuum provides the goals to select for instruction. Sections 5-6 of the BAS Assessment Guides describe how to use the results of the assessment to guide instruction and to monitor progress over time. That should be a beginning place for you to consider in beginning the conversations. Feel free to contact us again as you move forward.
Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link