search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

Summer Regression with LLI Students Messages in this topic - RSS

hkissel
hkissel

3/18/2019
hkissel
hkissel
Hello,

I am working with a school to support their use of the LLI materials, and we are using your "10 Month Expected Level of Growth" chart to look at the progress of students receiving LLI intervention. If a student shows significant summer regression, for example, they leave a grade level in the spring at a level D and return in the fall at a level A, are they expected to make up the four levels they have lost in addition to making the expected levels of growth on the 10 month chart? Or, alternatively, are they just expected to begin at level A and progress as expected according to the chart?

If my explanation is not clear please let me know.

Thanks for your help!

Hilary
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

3/18/2019
hkissel wrote:
Hello,

I am working with a school to support their use of the LLI materials, and we are using your "10 Month Expected Level of Growth" chart to look at the progress of students receiving LLI intervention. If a student shows significant summer regression, for example, they leave a grade level in the spring at a level D and return in the fall at a level A, are they expected to make up the four levels they have lost in addition to making the expected levels of growth on the 10 month chart? Or, alternatively, are they just expected to begin at level A and progress as expected according to the chart?

If my explanation is not clear please let me know.

Thanks for your help!

Hilary

That is a huge discrepancy from end of year to beginning. Maybe one level difference but 4 -I question such large gaps. There could be many reasons why a student does not read as well in the fall:beginning of a new school year, new teacher, new classroom, etc. The students who are typically falling behind are more passive, more shy, and sometimes take longer to develop a relationship with a new teacher thus do not read as well or talk with the new teacher as well as they really could.

The real thing to consider is the behavior while reading. Readers at level A are learning to attend to print, learning to search for the meaning, language structure and visual information in very simple texts with one line of print. A reader at Level D has shown control of these early behaviors that do not go away. (tracking print with their eyes on one - 4 lines of print, cross-checking first and last letters with meaning and language structures, use some known words to help solve new). If the reader scores lower because they missed one high frequency word throughout the entire book that is not a reason to place that student in level A. It means that level A text was not the best selection for instructing that student because the child could not use his known words as the behaviors suggest (to monitor, solve) because he was asked to read a text with an unknown word. Look at the behaviors compared to those of the Literacy Continuum for Levels A-D to decide on the best placement. Usually level D is the better placement for beginning instruction.
It means you may also need to do the Optional Assessments for reading and writing HF words in order to make good text selections. It's not about just reading the words accurately but using them to process (to monitor, confirm, correct, solve). There is a free webinar on teaching for strategic actions that may help explain this better. Look under the EXTEND tab in the Resource Library for webinars and information to guide you in thinking through this. There are some in your PD videos that come with LLI Online Resources too.

Best wishes!
Debbie
0 link
hkissel
hkissel

3/19/2019
hkissel
hkissel
Thanks, Debbie! This will help me to frame a conversation with the school leaders.

Hilary
0 link

3/19/2019
hkissel wrote:
Thanks, Debbie! This will help me to frame a conversation with the school leaders.

Hilary

Thank YOU!! Keep having the conversations!
Debbie
0 link