search navigation

HomeClassroom Resources

Posts relating to Continuum, Word Study Guide, Choice Libraries, Select Collections and Genre Sets, the Leveled Book Website, or Prompting Guide

Spelling Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser113802
FPUser113802

3/22/2019
FPUser113802
FPUser113802
Does F & P Classrooms suggest using the high-frequency words for spelling?
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

3/22/2019
FPUser113802 wrote:
Does F & P Classrooms suggest using the high-frequency words for spelling?

I am having some difficulty responding because I am not sure what you mean by "for spelling."
Some high frequency words may be included in the word study routines to spell words. You should note that the spelling component of Phonics, Spelling, and Word Study is not the traditional view of rote memorization of spelling words to pass a test on Friday. Spelling means the forming of words from letters. So spelling is really part of writing words; using known to solve when writing unfamiliar words. In the Literacy Continuum you find the spelling goals for each grade level under the Writing context / Conventions.

The focus in all of the lessons is to use many flexible strategic ways to solve words when reading and writing. The high frequency words need to be read and written with accurate spelling. (see the following pages in your Lesson Guide p. 5, 38, Master Lesson Guide suggestions on p. 53, & p. 331 for suggestions of things to consider -page numbers differ in grades 2+). You don't want students to have to stop to solve or decode high frequency words, they need to read them fast with automaticity. Thus learning the visual details of these words is important (and one way is by making and writing them fast = spelling= forming words from letters).

I hope this answers your question.
Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link