search navigation

HomeFountas & Pinnell Classroom

Lift students' learning beyond the walls of the classroom with texts and a blueprint for teaching that create authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting to realize what it truly means to live a literate life.

Guided Reading Messages in this topic - RSS

FPUser114303
FPUser114303

3/25/2019
FPUser114303
FPUser114303
How much time should be allowed to get through a guided reading lesson? Is 30 minutes the norm?
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

3/25/2019
FPUser114303 wrote:
How much time should be allowed to get through a guided reading lesson? Is 30 minutes the norm?

The time depends on your own schedule and needs. Some Kinder groups only need to be about 10-15 minutes because the books are short. Other groups need 20-30 minutes. It is typically recommended 20-25 minutes and no more than 30 minutes being spent in small group instruction. You can find this and more information about guided reading in Guided Reading: Responsive Teaching Across the Grades chapter 22.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link
FPUser114303
FPUser114303

27 days ago
FPUser114303
FPUser114303
Thanks Debbie. I have another questions. A lot of time companies that do guided reading series will have the same title of book but at different levels. (Ex: below/average/high) Does the F+P guided reading set do this, or does it just go by the lettering system? A teacher was asking me, the way it looked to me was that it's just by the lettering system and you pick what's appropriate for your students.
0 link

26 days ago
FPUser114303 wrote:
Thanks Debbie. I have another questions. A lot of time companies that do guided reading series will have the same title of book but at different levels. (Ex: below/average/high) Does the F+P guided reading set do this, or does it just go by the lettering system? A teacher was asking me, the way it looked to me was that it's just by the lettering system and you pick what's appropriate for your students.

Are you referring to the FPC Guided Reading lessons? Each lesson has a leveled text. No titles are repeated.
You can find more information in your online resources Getting Started videos.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link