search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Extreme Growth of DRA Level in one Year Messages in this topic - RSS

LJTeacher
LJTeacher

3/25/2019
LJTeacher
LJTeacher
I am very curious as to the growth rate in relation to one year in school for a student in the first grade. I have a student who has been tested by a Title 1 teacher who seems to show extreme growth in his reading. His DRA level at the start of his current year in first grade was an 8. However, when he was tested two weeks ago for his end of 3rd quarter grade card, his DRA level was a 28. I'm very confused and concerned with this score, and would like some clarification on how this could be possible, if it even is possible.
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

29 days ago
LJTeacher wrote:
I am very curious as to the growth rate in relation to one year in school for a student in the first grade. I have a student who has been tested by a Title 1 teacher who seems to show extreme growth in his reading. His DRA level at the start of his current year in first grade was an 8. However, when he was tested two weeks ago for his end of 3rd quarter grade card, his DRA level was a 28. I'm very confused and concerned with this score, and would like some clarification on how this could be possible, if it even is possible.

DRA is not a Fountas and Pinnell product so there may be discrepancies in using that measure with the Fountas and Pinnell levels. Use the Literacy Continuum to decide which behaviors best fit the observations made with your assessments. First graders do make spurts as they are developing, but it would be the analysis of the records that should provide more information about which is the best level.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link