search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Comprehension Conversation: Within the Text Messages in this topic - RSS

JenD12
JenD12

3/25/2019
JenD12
JenD12
If a student misses many of the key understandings when asked the general question (tell what happened in the story, etc.) for within the text comprehension, but when asked more specific questions in the beyond and about the text, tells those key understandings that were missed in the within, can this be counted? I know it is in the Assessment Guide somewhere, and I remember hearing the answer to this question, but now I can't find it nor remember the answer. Thank you!
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

29 days ago
JenD12 wrote:
If a student misses many of the key understandings when asked the general question (tell what happened in the story, etc.) for within the text comprehension, but when asked more specific questions in the beyond and about the text, tells those key understandings that were missed in the within, can this be counted? I know it is in the Assessment Guide somewhere, and I remember hearing the answer to this question, but now I can't find it nor remember the answer. Thank you!

Look in Section 2 of your Assessment Guide. There is no "counting of responses" to determine a score. It should be a conversation with the child doing most of the talking. Any information is accepted at any time during the conversation. Use the rubric to decide if it is proficient or approaching proficiency.

I hope that helps. Best wishes for success!
Debbie
0 link