search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

Kindergarten Assessment on BAS System 1 edition 3 Messages in this topic - RSS

Fountain Valley School District
Fountain Valley School District

29 days ago
On the Benchmark Assessment System 1 Edition 3 it gives the option to assess kindergartners in the 1st trimester. Is it required to test students in kindergarten on the 1st trimester if they are ready to be assessed?

There has been discussion to change testing on (BAS) edition 3 to 2nd trimester only for all students in kindergarten and not test in the first trimester. I don't think we are allowed do this because this is a norm referenced test. I believe it is required to test kindergartners if they are ready to be tested. Please let me know.
0 link
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Debbie Magoulick, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

28 days ago
Fountain Valley School District wrote:
On the Benchmark Assessment System 1 Edition 3 it gives the option to assess kindergartners in the 1st trimester. Is it required to test students in kindergarten on the 1st trimester if they are ready to be assessed?

There has been discussion to change testing on (BAS) edition 3 to 2nd trimester only for all students in kindergarten and not test in the first trimester. I don't think we are allowed do this because this is a norm referenced test. I believe it is required to test kindergartners if they are ready to be tested. Please let me know.

Fountas and Pinnell do not have requirements for when to use the Benchmark Assessment Systems. Each school/district decides when to gather information needed. There are suggestions with targets for students at different points in time. Those are suggestions, not requirements.

What is the purpose for assessing the students? That should guide your decisions about when to assess. https://fpblog.fountasandpinnell.com/the-power-and-purpose-of-assessment https://www.fountasandpinnell.com/shared/resources/FP_BAS_2ED_Research_Executive-Summary_v2012-08.pdf

It is typically not suggested to assess Kindergarten students during the first couple of months of school since they have not had instruction yet. Early behaviors that help prepare students for level A instruction are taught through whole class IRA, SR, IW, and other instructional contexts.

I hope this helps guide your conversations in making an assessment schedule.

Best wishes for success!
Debbie
+1 link