search navigation

HomeIntervention

Discuss Leveled Literacy Intervention and the LLI supporting resources.

Paraprofessionals and LLI Messages in this topic - RSS

Elm-938
Elm-938

24 days ago
Elm-938
Elm-938
I am a paraprofessional who did LLI interventions and expressed my concerns about this practice to my school district’s superintendent, school board directors, and parents after they were ignored by my instructional coach and principal. I was most concerned about whether it was appropriate for a paraprofessional with no training or expertise in how children acquire literacy to administer LLI interventions. Has anyone else been successful in stopping a school and/or school district from using paraprofessionals to do LLI interventions?
edited by Elm-938 on 4/1/2019
0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

23 days ago
Elm-938 wrote:
I am a paraprofessional who did LLI interventions and expressed my concerns about this practice to my school district’s superintendent, school board directors, and parents after they were ignored by my instructional coach and principal. I was most concerned about whether it was appropriate for a paraprofessional with no training or expertise in how children acquire literacy to administer LLI interventions. Has anyone else been successful in stopping a school and/or school district from using paraprofessionals to do LLI interventions?

Research has typically indicated that the most struggling readers require the most highly trained proficient teachers in order to get a change in the trajectory of learning. Fountas and Pinnell encourage districts to provide extensive training for teachers using the LLI systems since each lesson requires expertise in analyzing student strengths and needs and therefore the best instructional decisions for each reader.

We wish you success in using LLI in your district.

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link
Elm-938
Elm-938

23 days ago
Elm-938
Elm-938
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant wrote:
Elm-938 wrote:

Research has typically indicated that the most struggling readers require the most highly trained proficient teachers in order to get a change in the trajectory of learning. Fountas and Pinnell encourage districts to provide extensive training for teachers using the LLI systems since each lesson requires expertise in analyzing student strengths and needs and therefore the best instructional decisions for each reader.

Thank you for your reply. While I am not familiar with the research regarding the efficacy of using highly skilled educators to implement LLI, I can say from my own experience that there would be no way for my former school to verify the results of my work with students. At least not if they were to use student running records as a measure. There was really no accountability with the reporting of data from the running records I collected. When I transferred to another school after doing LLI interventions for about eight weeks, I walked out with every running record I had collected on all of my students. The school had no copies. In the year since I’ve left, no one from my former school has asked me about these missing running records.
0 link

22 days ago
Elm-938 wrote:
Elm-938 wrote:

Thank you for your reply. While I am not familiar with the research regarding the efficacy of using highly skilled educators to implement LLI, I can say from my own experience that there would be no way for my former school to verify the results of my work with students. At least not if they were to use student running records as a measure. There was really no accountability with the reporting of data from the running records I collected. When I transferred to another school after doing LLI interventions for about eight weeks, I walked out with every running record I had collected on all of my students. The school had no copies. In the year since I’ve left, no one from my former school has asked me about these missing running records.

This is a district decision since Fountas and Pinnell can only suggest the best use of the materials. Once the district purchases the materials, it is their decision how to implement the system.

--
0 link
Elm-938
Elm-938

21 days ago
Elm-938
Elm-938
Elm-938 wrote:
Elm-938 wrote:

This is a district decision since Fountas and Pinnell can only suggest the best use of the materials. Once the district purchases the materials, it is their decision how to implement the system.

To be fair, the district took my concerns about paraprofessionals administering LLI very seriously and responded by putting an end to the practice. It was the of the school principal who was solely responsible for the decision to use paraprofessionals in this way. I was given fifteen minutes a day to prepare for six LLI groups from four different grade levels. I was told to use the green kit for all my groups. With so little time to prepare, I was sometimes showing up to class without having read our book for that day and shuffling through the pages of the teacher’s guide to get some idea of what to do with my students. In this kind of situation a paraprofessional is making instructional decisions based not on what’s best for student learning, but what is most expedient for the paraprofessional within the time frame they are given.

As paraprofessionals did not attend staff meetings with teachers, it was not clear how the literacy interventions using LLI were going to contribute to achieving our school’s literacy goals or what those goals were, if any. As a paraprofessional who did not have a basic grasp of student reading levels it was not clear to me how I was going to accelerate student achievement without any idea of what level they should be striving to attain. Lacking any relevant experience that would prepare me for these interventions, I felt as though I was put in a completely untenable situation. So I immediately began documenting this experience as much as possible and looking for another job at a different school. When I left for my new job I took all my student running records to prove that I could do it and to add to my extensive documentation of this practice that our district does not endorse.
0 link

21 days ago
Elm-938 wrote:
Elm-938 wrote:
Elm-938 wrote:

To be fair, the district took my concerns about paraprofessionals administering LLI very seriously and responded by putting an end to the practice. It was the of the school principal who was solely responsible for the decision to use paraprofessionals in this way. I was given fifteen minutes a day to prepare for six LLI groups from four different grade levels. I was told to use the green kit for all my groups. With so little time to prepare, I was sometimes showing up to class without having read our book for that day and shuffling through the pages of the teacher’s guide to get some idea of what to do with my students. In this kind of situation a paraprofessional is making instructional decisions based not on what’s best for student learning, but what is most expedient for the paraprofessional within the time frame they are given.

As paraprofessionals did not attend staff meetings with teachers, it was not clear how the literacy interventions using LLI were going to contribute to achieving our school’s literacy goals or what those goals were, if any. As a paraprofessional who did not have a basic grasp of student reading levels it was not clear to me how I was going to accelerate student achievement without any idea of what level they should be striving to attain. Lacking any relevant experience that would prepare me for these interventions, I felt as though I was put in a completely untenable situation. So I immediately began documenting this experience as much as possible and looking for another job at a different school. When I left for my new job I took all my student running records to prove that I could do it and to add to my extensive documentation of this practice that our district does not endorse.

It sounds like you are very committed to your students and doing the best job you can do!

--
0 link