search navigation

HomeAssessment

Topics surrounding general assessment and the Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems.

BAS Books Messages in this topic - RSS

gwendolyn_ressler
gwendolyn_ressler

23 days ago
I currently have four BAS kits in our building. We have two of each system in the third edition. We are in a gradual transition from DRA to BAS. We have found the BAS to be more informative and useful. According to my local sales representative, the books are not for sale to supplement the one copy that comes in each kit for each level. Ideally, we would have three to four teachers using a kit. If they assess at the same time, which they often do in compliance with our assessment calendar, they would only have one color copy of the book to rotate among their rooms for each level.
Purchasing one kit per classroom is out of our financial reach at this point. What do you then suggest as we seek to transition into BAS in a reasonable way? I am aware that each kit permits five teachers to access online materials. But that covers assessment reproducibles and still leaves us with one book per level per kit. Suggestions or something I might be missing?

0 link
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant
Helenann Steensen, Fountas & Pinnell Consultant

22 days ago
gwendolyn_ressler wrote:
I currently have four BAS kits in our building. We have two of each system in the third edition. We are in a gradual transition from DRA to BAS. We have found the BAS to be more informative and useful. According to my local sales representative, the books are not for sale to supplement the one copy that comes in each kit for each level. Ideally, we would have three to four teachers using a kit. If they assess at the same time, which they often do in compliance with our assessment calendar, they would only have one color copy of the book to rotate among their rooms for each level.
Purchasing one kit per classroom is out of our financial reach at this point. What do you then suggest as we seek to transition into BAS in a reasonable way? I am aware that each kit permits five teachers to access online materials. But that covers assessment reproducibles and still leaves us with one book per level per kit. Suggestions or something I might be missing?

Fountas and Pinnell suggest no more than two teachers share a system, so you will have to do some extensive organizing (as you indicated) to make this work with the limited number of systems available. You have a fiction and a nonfiction text per level. That means you will have two books to share with teachers at each level. Teachers need to start with the Where to Start Word List to determine what levels they will need. Once the levels needed are determined, you can create your sharing plan. As the teacher assesses, he/she will start with either fiction or nonfiction at a level. At the next level she/he will use the opposite genre. Therefore, you could make two sets of books including alternating genres. You might start with one teacher at a grade level beginning with the lowest readers (with a set of books at lower levels) and the other teacher might begin with the highest readers in his/her classroom (with a set of books at higher levels) dependent upon the needs of the included students. Or, two teachers might assess in the morning and two teachers might assess in the afternoon. I hope these ideas help you start thinking of other possibilities.

We wish you success as you plan for and use the books,

--
Helenann Steensen, Official Fountas & Pinnell Consultant, Heinemann
0 link